This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7586 / 53°45'30"N
Longitude: -0.5699 / 0°34'11"W
OS Eastings: 494378
OS Northings: 430085
OS Grid: SE943300
Mapcode National: GBR SSGZ.DD
Mapcode Global: WHGFG.6SVG
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 7 February 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103351
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164765
Location: Brantingham, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU15
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Brantingham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Brantingham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 93 SW
DALE ROAD (east side)
Church of All Saints
Church. C12 origins, largely rebuilt 1872 by G.E Street using old materials. Coursed rubble, ashlar dressings, pantiled roofs. Two-stage west tower, three bay nave with south porch and north and south transepts, two bay chancel.
West tower: low chamfered plinth. Ogee-headed lancet beneath string course to bell stage, two-light pointed belfry opening with cusped tracery. String course with gargoyles beneath crenellated parapet with crocketed corner finials. Two-light pointed west window with curvilinear tracery under a hoodmould. Polygonal stair turret lit by lancets under a corbelled hipped roof to south-east angle.
Nave: three-light pointed window with Perpendicular tracery under a hoodmould with face stops. Late C12 round-headed south door of two orders: the inner roll-moulded on moulded imposts and attached shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, the outer hollow-chamfered on hollow-chamfered jambs under a hoodmould with face stops. South porch: pointed opening of three moulded arches under a hoodmould. Crenellated parapet. Nave north elevation: to west, a two-light square-headed window under a hoodmould, to east, a three-light pointed window with Perpendicular tracery under a hoodmould with face stops. South transept: two-light pointed south window with Perpendicular tracery. Similar north window to north transept. Crenellated parapet to nave.
Chancel: central round-headed priest's door with continuous roll-moulding; to the left a two-light pointed window with Geometrical tracery, to the right a lancet with inner trefoil light. Three-light pointed east window with plate tracery under a hoodmould with monarch stops. North vestry: north window of three lights under a segmental head and hoodmould with face stops, and projection in re-entrant angle with chancel containing pointed door with a continuous shallow moulding under a hoodmould. Side-wall stacks rising to octagonal flue with crenellated cap to east wall of vestry. Raised coped gables throughout the church: that to the chancel has a cross finial.
Interior: double-chamfered pointed tower arch dying into responds. Late C12 pointed double-chamfered arches on quirk-and-hollow-chamfered imposts to north and south transepts. Early C13 goblet-shaped font with four supporting colonnettes with nailhead. In south transept east wall is a memorial brass set within a rectangular moulded stone panel: inscription, under a coat of arms, to Antony Smethley, Lord of Brantingham, 1578.
Listing NGR: SE9437830085
Other nearby listed buildings