History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Empire

A Grade II Listed Building in Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.5601 / 53°33'36"N

Longitude: -0.0289 / 0°1'44"W

OS Eastings: 530655

OS Northings: 408858

OS Grid: TA306088

Mapcode National: GBR XW78.JJ

Mapcode Global: WHHHT.JSG4

Plus Code: 9C5XHX6C+2C

Entry Name: The Empire

Listing Date: 22 December 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103471

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164443

Location: Croft Baker, North East Lincolnshire, DN35

County: North East Lincolnshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Croft Baker

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Cleethorpes

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Cleethorpes St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Tagged with: Theatre Cinema Amusement arcade

Find accommodation in


(west side)

8/27 The Empire
(No's 49-52)


Theatre, now amusement arcade. 1896, enlarged and refurbished 1900;
unsympathetic later C2O alterations. Red brick in Flemish bond with
sandstone ashlar dressings, colourwashed. Welsh slate roof. Timber
arcade, iron balcony. Rectangular on plan, with rear entrance to
Dolphin Street. Main front to Alexandra Road: 3 storeys, 7 bays;
symmetrical. Full length ground-floor pavement arcade (largely rebuilt
in C2O) carrying first-floor balcony. Plain wooden piers and basket
arches, plain Caa balcony railings. Ground floor front retains central
basket-arched chamfered entrance with alternating plan and moulded
ashlar voussoirs, foliate keystone; flanking sections remodelled cl97O.
Upper floors retain original details: projecting octagonal buttresses at
left and right angles and flanking central gabled bay, pilaster
buttresses between side bays. First floor: full-length windows with
C20 blocking or inserted glazing beneath original ornate ashlar lintels
with panelled friezes, foliate consoles and scrolled pediments. Flush
ashlar band at lintel level, with foliate relief panels to buttresses.
Raised moulded name plaque above central first-floor window. Second
floor: central round-headed window with delicate radial glazing bars,
moulded capitals, archivolt and fluted pedimented keystone flanked by
ashlar stringcourse. Side bays have windows with moulded sills,
moulded lintels with consoles and flat hoods; flush ashlar band at
lintel level, with foliate relief panels to buttresses. Moulded ashlar
stringcourse, dentilled brick frieze and moulded eaves cornice. The
octagonal buttresses at each end and flanking the central gable project
as short turrets with ornate onion domes and miniature cupolas with
finials. Central coped shaped gable has moulded slit light,
stringcourse and segmental pediment with shell moulding and ball finial.
Moulded brick-coped gables. Pair of axial stacks and pair of end
stacks with moulded stringcourses. Right return bears remains of
painted inscription "THE EMPIRE". Rear to Dolphin Street has 3 storey,
6-bay section with recessed outer bays flanking 2 central bays, 5
segmental-arched basement windows, door to right beneath segmental
arch, 4 second-floor sashes, hipped roof. Interior. Ground floor
largely stripped or obscured by later partitions: stage boarded-in.
Stairhall and gallery entrances have original staircases, basket-arched
openings on moulded capitals, plaster panelling to walls with Adam-style
plasterwork friezes and ornate moulded ceilings. Auditorium has full
gallery around 3 sides, the side ranges with arcades of square timber
columns with moulded arch braces to hammer beams carrying basket-arched
roof trusses and a boarded upper ceiling with ornate cast-iron
ventilator grilles. Ornate gilt carved wood and plasterwork proscenium
arch: fluted Composite pilasters, with tapered Ionic pilasters above,
flanking a wide basket arch with foliate and ribbed mouldings and
foliate spandrels beneath a moulded cornice. The lower section of the
stage arch removed or obscured at time of resurvey. Not fully
investigated. Built at a cost of dl4,5Da and opened in May 1896 as the
Alexandra Hall Theatre. Refurbished by M. Auguste Van Biene in 1900 to
become the Empire Theatre. Closed as a theatre in 1960. Formed part of
the well-established national seaside resorts entertainments
circuit, and still retains much of its early C20 character. M Hart,
Cleethorpes and the Meggies, 1981, pp 10, 41, 42.

Listing NGR: TA3065508858

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.