History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Beelsby, North East Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5014 / 53°30'5"N

Longitude: -0.1809 / 0°10'51"W

OS Eastings: 520753

OS Northings: 402066

OS Grid: TA207020

Mapcode National: GBR WW5Y.MK

Mapcode Global: WHHJ4.6832

Entry Name: Church of Saint Andrew

Listing Date: 4 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103488

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164376

Location: Beelsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN37

County: North East Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Beelsby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Beelsby St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Laceby

Listing Text



HUMBERSIDE
CLEETHORPES
5263

TA 20 SW BEELSBY

6/11 Church of Saint Andrew

4.1.67 II

-


Parish Church. C13 blocked arcades, arch to south side of chancel and
former tower arch incorporated in rebuilding of 1889-90 by R H Fowler. Re-
used medieval ironstone ashlar to lower sections, limestone ashlar
dressings, blocking and upper sections of walling. 3-bay nave with west
belcote, south porch and single-bay chancel with vestry adjoining south
side. Buttresses, chamfered plinth and cillband. Pointed 2-light windows
and 3-light east and west windows with reticulated tracery. Blocked pointed
chamfered former tower arch to west wall. Stepped bellcote has pointed arch
with pinnacled ogee hood flanked by pinnacled buttress-shafts, coped top
with short octagonal ashlar spire surmounted by weathercock. Porch with
pointed moulded outer and inner arches. Fragments of C14 inscribed grave
slabs incorporated in walls; north chancel wall contains C13 grave slab
inscribed with cross and sword. Interior: blocked 3-bay north and south
arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches, north arcade with octagonal
piers, the later south arcade with single cylindrical and filleted
quatrefoil piers and octagonal responds; plain moulded capitals and bases
throughout. Pointed chamfered blocked former tower arch with mutilated
chamfered imposts. C19 shafted pointed chancel arch. Wide pointed double-
chamfered arch to south side of chancel on octagonal responds with moulded
capitals. Two C14 carved stone coffins re-set in east and west vestry
walls. Font has plain medieval octagonal bowl set on C19 base. Restored
C17 carved oak panelled pulpit. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of
England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 186.


Listing NGR: TA2075302066

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.