This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4891 / 53°29'20"N
Longitude: -0.1729 / 0°10'22"W
OS Eastings: 521319
OS Northings: 400704
OS Grid: TA213007
Mapcode National: GBR WX72.CZ
Mapcode Global: WHHJ4.9KWK
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 4 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103493
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164390
Location: Hatcliffe, North East Lincolnshire, DN37
County: North East Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Hatcliffe
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Hatcliffe St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TA 30 NW HATCLIFFE MAIN STREET
Church of Saint Mary
Parish church. C12 nave with C13 blocked north arcade, C13 tower with C14-
C15 parapet. Restorations of 1861-2 by Rogers and Marsden of Louth
including re-flooring, re-seating, blocking west tower entrance and opening
south door, rebuilding chancel and adding new vestry/organ chamber. Square
ironstone with limestone and ironstone ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof.
West tower with rectangular projecting stair turret to south-east, 2-bay
nave with south door and blocked 3-bay north arcade, 2-bay chancel with
vestry adjoining north side. Tower: moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses
with set-offs; partly restored 3-light cinquefoiled west window. Belfry has
pointed 2-light Y-traceried openings to south and east, and single blocked
lancets to north and west. Moulded string-course, coped embattled parapet.
Stair turret has small slit window and single trefoiled light. Nave: round-
headed chamfered door with plain-moulded imposts and hoodmould; C14 square-
headed 2-light trefoiled south window with restored mullion and hoodmould.
North side has late C13 pointed 2-light traceried window with hoodmould and
headstops flanked by single blocked pointed arcade arches, that to right
containing a blocked pointed door with plain imposts and a blocked lancet
above, that to left containing a late C13 - early C14 pointed 3-light window
with intersecting tracery, hoodmould and weathered headstops. Chancel:
buttresses to east and between bays, single and twin C19 lancets and pointed
3-light east window with geometrical tracery. Interior: tower open to nave,
with tall pointed double-chamfered arch, the inner order dying into
chamfered jambs. Blocked north arcade has pointed double-chamfered arches
to outer bays with rounded chamfer-stops, quatrefoil piers and responds with
plain moulded capitals, round and square abaci, and moulded bases on square
plinths. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with chamfered jambs and
restored shafts supporting inner order. In chancel a re-set graveslab to
John Hatteclyf of 1549 and part of another to Lyon Hatteclyf of 1552.
Vestry contains damaged floorslab to William Hatteclyf of 1551 with
inscribed border and figures of knight and lady over inscribed panel; much
worn graveslab with lettered border and inscribed cross. Font with C12
circular bowl on restored cylindrical shaft with cable moulding and
octagonal base. Shallow former font bowl in chancel with floral boss in
centre. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire,
1978, p 269.
Listing NGR: TA2131600706
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings