This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6897 / 51°41'23"N
Longitude: -0.2795 / 0°16'46"W
OS Eastings: 519022
OS Northings: 200399
OS Grid: TL190003
Mapcode National: GBR 8D.07F
Mapcode Global: VHGPY.3SLJ
Plus Code: 9C3XMPQC+V5
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 12 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103508
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164324
Location: Shenley, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD7
Civil Parish: Shenley
Built-Up Area: Shenley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Shenley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 10 SE SHENLEY LONDON ROAD
3/269 Church of
- St. Martin
Parish Church. 1841 by S.Staples for Rev. T.Newcome, Rector of Shenley.
Red brick, stone dressings, slate roofs. Gothic chapel. 4 bay unaisled
nave, short low chancel, W porch, SW bell turret, NE vestry. Tall nave
windows: 2 pointed lights each with hollow chamfered mullions set in a
square head, chamfered surrounds, stone hood moulds with carved stops. 2
stage buttresses with stone offsets, diagonal to E angles. Upper door to
gallery to NW. Plinth. Boxed eaves. Small lights in gable ends of nave.
Dentilled brick courses below gable parapets with cross finials. E
window: 4 lights with 4 centred arched head. Vestry: pointed heads to
doors to W and N, a slit window and a casement. Gable parapets. Gabled W
porch: pointed arched entrances, stone hood mould with carved stops.
Chamfered slit openings to sides. Stone coped parapet. Above porch
square W window, now blocked with a hood mould. Octagonal 3 stage
turret, stone courses between stages. Pointed openings to each side in
belfry stage. Interior: pointed chancel arch, chamfered with capitals
and bases to responds, stopped hood mould to nave. Gallery to W, now
organ loft with panelled front, on 4 cast iron colonnettes. Nave roof,
decorative queen post with open panels in spandrels. Chancel roof,
decorative arched braced collar beam. Glass from Church of St. Botolph
(q.v.). E window, 2 central windows in nave S wall and E window in nave
N wall all c.1850-60. E window in nave S wall is by Morris and Co.,
1907. Also from St. Botolph's: Royal Arms of George III painted on
canvas and brasses to R.Allway and Family, d.1621. (Colvin 1978).
Listing NGR: TL1902200399
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings