This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.68 / 51°40'47"N
Longitude: -0.3156 / 0°18'56"W
OS Eastings: 516550
OS Northings: 199254
OS Grid: TQ165992
Mapcode National: GBR 6Q.P4B
Mapcode Global: VHGQ3.G1ZG
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 12 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103631
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164114
Location: Aldenham, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD7
Civil Parish: Aldenham
Built-Up Area: Radlett
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Radlett Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 19 NE ALDENHAM WATLING STREET
7/66 Christ Church
Church. 1864 by T.Smith and Son, extended 1907 by Oldrid Scott. Knapped
flint with red and white brick and stone dressings. Slate roofs.
Originally cruciform with S porch and SE tower, extended to N with
second longer nave and chancel, N transept, NE organ bay and vestry.
High Victorian polychrome Gothic with simpler Free Gothic extension. 6
bay nave with I-bay chancel. 7-bay nave and 3 bay chancel extension. S
windows: plate tracery in pointed heads. 2 stage buttresses. Plinth. Red
brick bands. White brick dentilled eaves. Gabled S porch, colonnettes in
jambs of pointed arched entrance, stopped hood moulds. W window: 2 large
pointed arches with plate tracery surmounted by a central pointed arch
with an octafoil opening. Relief figures of Christ and an angel to
centre. Foiled opening in gable. S transept: 3-light plate traceried
window. 4-light E window with geometrical tracery. Coped gable end
parapets with carved kneelers. Blue and green striped slates. Ridge
tiles. 3-stage tower with door to S with colonnettes in jambs of pointed
arch. Single light and gargoyle in 2nd stage. Double openings in belfry
stage above a string course. Nailhead eaves cornice. Broached spire with
lucarnes at base. Semi-circular stair turret to E rising 2 stages with
slit openings. 1907 extension: flint, sparingly dressed in stone. Nave
windows: 3-lights with trefoiled heads under broader pointed arches.
Plinth. Stone band at sill level. Stone blocks below eaves. 2-stage
buttresses, diagonal at W end and SE. Delicately traceried 4-light W
window above stone band. To S: entrance in 1 bay extending beyond
earlier nave has a pointed arched head, ovolo moulded surround with an
inner traceried hollow moulding. N transept: 3-lights with geometrical
tracery. Stone quoins to W return. To E taller and further projecting
organ bay with stone quoins to E, similar fenestration. 1-storey flat
roofed vestry to NE with an entrance and two 2-light windows. E window
of 3 lights and 2-light windows to N and S of chancel with tracery as at
W end. Semi-octagon at meeting of 2 chancels. Coped gable parapets with
kneelers. Interior: 1864 church has a pointed chancel arch with short
richly carved responds. Scissor brace roof to nave and transept.
Chancel roof ceiled with painted decoration. Double arcade to later
church, ornament as on chancel arch. 1860's glass to E, W and S. 1907
nave arcade with alternate octagonal and round piers, with moulded caps
and bases, roll moulded pointed arches. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered
orders with decorative bosses. Nave roof ceiled. Chancel roof ceiled
with central pointed barrel vault flanked by coved sides with tie beams
across. N transept glass is of 1860's and repositioned. Elsewhere C20
glass. Choir stalls of 1909. (Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TQ1655099254
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings