History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rose Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Widworthy, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7937 / 50°47'37"N

Longitude: -3.1187 / 3°7'7"W

OS Eastings: 321249

OS Northings: 99941

OS Grid: SY212999

Mapcode National: GBR M0.Z9QN

Mapcode Global: FRA 46CZ.SZB

Entry Name: Rose Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Last Amended: 8 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1104093

English Heritage Legacy ID: 88793

Location: Widworthy, East Devon, Devon, EX14

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Widworthy

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Widworthy St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Widworthy

Listing Text



SY 29 NW OFFWELL WILMINGTON

4/121 Rose Farmhouse (formerly listed as
- Rose Cottage and Lilac Cottage)
22.2.55
GV II

Farmhouse. Early - mid C16 with major later C16 and early C17 improvements (there
was once a date plaque of 1620); major early - mid C19 refurbishment. Plastered
local stone and flint rubble, probably with some cob; stone rubble stacks, the hall
stack has a plastered chimneyshaft and it may still include the date plaque reported
in the previous listing; the other one is topped with C19 brick; thatch roof, part
has been replaced with asbestos slate.
Plan and development: formerly a 3-room-and-through-passage plan house facing east-
north-east, say east. Downhill at the left (south) end, next to the road, is a
small unheated inner room; probably a dairy or buttery originally. Next to it the
hall has an axial stack backing onto a wide passage. Uphill at the right (north)
end is a service end parlour with a gable-end stack. In fact the present layout is
essentially the result of an early C17 refurbishment (maybe of 1620). Before that
the house was smaller and occupied only the passage-hall-inner room section.
Originally this section was open to the roof from end to end and heated by an open
hearth fire. It seems likely that the inner room end was floored over in the mid
C16. The hall stack is late C16 or early C17 and the hall was floored over in the
early C17. At about the same time the parlour was added and the hall down-graded to
a kitchen. The parlour end was refurbished and reroofed in the early or mid C19,
probably when the farmhouse was divided into cottages. They were reunited to make a
single house in the C20 and the passage front doorway was blocked. 2 storeys.
Exterior: irregular 2-window front of C20 casements with glazing bars. The passage
front doorway was a little left of centre and is now blocked by a third ground floor
window and the blocking is recessed from the main front. Near the left end is an
inserted doorway containing a part-glazed C20 door. The roof is half-hipped to left
and gable-ended to right stepping up from the thatch over the passage to the
asbestos slate section over the parlour end. At the back the hall bay breaks
forward from the main block. The passage rear doorway contains a C20 door and most
of the windows are C20 although the ground floor parlour window is an early C17
Beerstone 3-light window with ovolo-moulded mullions and hoodmould. A C19 store
outshot behind the inner room contains a reset C17 oak window with chamfered
mullions.
Interior: the former hall has a large Beerstone ashlar fireplace with a chamfered
oak lintel and contains an oven. The half beam here is chamfered with pyramid
stops. The crosswall between hall and inner room is oak large framing. The roof
above this original section is early-mid C16. It is 2 bays. The base of the truss
is plastered over but its shape indicates a (jointed) cruck. In the solid wall
between passage and parlour is a hip cruck indicating that this was the end of the
original house. This original roof is smoke-blackened from the original open hearth
fire. The parlour extension was mostly rebuilt in the C19 although the roughly
chamfered crossbeam and the fireplace with plain oak lintel may be early C17.


Listing NGR: SY2124999941

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.