This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7911 / 50°47'27"N
Longitude: -3.1273 / 3°7'38"W
OS Eastings: 320640
OS Northings: 99663
OS Grid: SY206996
Mapcode National: GBR M0.ZFK0
Mapcode Global: FRA 47B0.3GT
Entry Name: Stables, Coach House and Courtyard Walls Adjoining North-West of Widworthy Court
Listing Date: 8 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164082
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88818
Location: Widworthy, East Devon, Devon, EX14
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Widworthy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Widworthy St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 29 NW WIDWORTHY
4/145 Stables, Coach house and courtyard
- walls adjoining north-west of
Stables, coach house and courtyard walls. 1830 by George Repton. Local stone and
flint rubble with Bathstone ashlar detail; slate roof.
Plan: the stable courtyard is enclosed on the south-east side by the back end of
the service wing of Widworthy Court (q.v) and a high wall. On the north-east side
is a low building, probably woodsheds, stores and such like originally (now
converted to domestic use) and at the left (north-west) end there is a wall
containing an archway between this block and the stable-block. The coach house and
stable block is on the north-west side projecting further to right (north-east).
The south-west side is enclosed by a tall wall.
Exterior: the front of the stable and coach house is 6 bays, 3 in the courtyard and
3 in the projection to right. The centre courtyard bay breaks forward a short
distance and contains a large round-headed arch with imposts, keystone and plain
architrave. Each side are plain pilasters on the corners up to a moulded
entablature; above this an upper stage containing a circular clockface flanked by
pairs of pilasters and moulded entablature; on top is a gabled bellcote with scrolls
each side. Each side are smaller round-headed arches with plain imposts, keystones
and architraves, now blocked by C20 windows with glazing bars. The other 3 bays are
similar. The eaves cornice is a plain ashlar band and the roof is hipped each end.
The tall south-west wall is ashlar on the outside, stone rubble with ashlar
dressings. The gateway is a tall arch with plain imposts and keystones. It has a
moulded cornice. On the inside, to right of the gateway, is a water trough in a low
semi-circular wall and it is fed through a lions head mask tap.
Listing NGR: SY2064099663
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings