This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7453 / 50°44'43"N
Longitude: -3.1412 / 3°8'28"W
OS Eastings: 319578
OS Northings: 94584
OS Grid: SY195945
Mapcode National: GBR PC.3HDN
Mapcode Global: FRA 4793.Q1Q
Entry Name: Hornshayne Farmhouse Including Front Garden Wall Adjoining to South and Granary and Stables Adjoining to North
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104109
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88732
Location: Farway, East Devon, Devon, EX24
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Farway
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Southleigh St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 19 SE FARWAY
5/61 Hornshayne Farmhouse including
front garden wall adjoining to
- south and granary and ,stables
22.2.55 adjoining to north
Farmhouse. Parts are early-mid C17 (maybe some is earlier) but these were
incorporated into a major rebuild of circa 1700 by Benedict Marwood, stable added in
1878, main house renovated circa 1900 and kitchen wing refurbished circa 1950.
Local flint stone rubble with Beerstone ashlar dressings, the kitchen block is
plastered, the stable has brick dressings; stone rubble stacks topped with C18, C19
and C20 brick; thatch roof to house, slate to kitchen wing.
Plan and development: U-plan building. The main block faces south. It has a 4-
room plan. The central door leads into an entrance hall; the room left of centre,
and from the back a corridor leads off along the rear wall to a staircase each end.
The larger main stair is at the left (west) end behind a parlour. Both this parlour
and the entrance hall share an axial stack which serves back-to-back fireplaces. To
right (east) of the entrance hall is a small unheated room and at the left end is a
large room, probably built as a dining room. It has an axial stack backing onto the
the unheated room. Behind these 2 rooms the service corridor and staircase project
further to rear than the rest of the main block. A kitchen rear block projects at
right angles and overlaps the right end of the main block. It has a 2-room plan.
The first room is the largest and it has a large projecting outer-side lateral
kitchen stack. The second room has a gable-end stack but the end was rebuilt circa
1950. Another block projects at right angles to rear of the left (west) end. The 2
rooms nearest the house are unheated. These may have been agricultural formerly
(the outer one at the first floor level is still a granary with an external stair).
The rest are now domestic. Beyond that is a stable block dated 1878.
Both rear blocks were built before circa 1700 but the main block appears to be
wholly from circa 1700 although some earlier features are reused there. The kitchen
block, including the former service stair, has now been divided off as a self-
contained labourer's cottage.
The main block and kitchen (east) wing are 2 storeys with attics in the roofspace.
The west wing is 2 storeys and the stables have a hayloft over.
Exterior: until circa 1900 the main block had a symmetrical 7-window front. At
that time the 2 ground floor windows were united to make a wider window. All are
circa 1900 mullion-and-transom windows. The central front doorway contains a circa
1700 2-panel door in a solid bead-moulded frame. The hood over is on shaped
brackets and is probably contemporary. The roof is hipped each end. At the back of
the main block is a 2-window section of original (that is to say circa 1700) oak
windows. One of the first floor windows may be a little earlier; it has chamfered
mullions. The rest have flat-faced mullions and the larger ground floor ones have
transoms. All contain rectangular panes of leaded glass. The east kitchen wing has
C20 casements with glazing bars. The west wing on the inner (courtyard) face
includes a section of neatly-square flint blocks, presumably from the pre 1700
house. The stable includes a door and 2 windows under brick segmental arches with
Beerstone keystones. There is a hayloft loading hatch in the gable-end wall above
which is a plaque inscribed EME 1878.
Good Interior: the main block contains a great deal of circa 1700 joinery detail.
Most of the doorways contain 2-panel doors. The main stair is also contemporary; a
fine dogleg stair with closed string, square newel posts with ball finials, flat
moulded handrail and large turned newel posts. The service stair is a smaller
version. A couple of fireplaces have been exposed and they reused C16 Beerstone
jambs, chamfered with urn stops. A bolection chimneypiece removed from one of these
fireplaces is stored in the attic. The roof is made up of tie beam trusses. Of the
2 rooms of the west wing one has a C16 chamfered crossbeam with pyramid stops and
the other has a C17 chamfered crossbeam with scroll stops. The roof here includes
the remnants of one side-pegged jointed cruck truss. The east kitchen wing contains
an enormous kitchen fireplace of Beerstone ashlar with a massive chamfered oak
lintel. The large oven has been relined with C19 brick. The crossbeam here is
chamfered with pyramid stops and the roof above is carried on clean side-pegged
jointed cruck trusses.
This one of a group of similar Marwood houses in the area is a most interesting
house which appears as Hornsheies in 1333. It was occupied by George Haydon in the
C16. Present house was built by Benedict Marwood who died there in 1745.
Source: Devon SMR.
Listing NGR: SY1957894584
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings