This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6801 / 50°40'48"N
Longitude: -3.4429 / 3°26'34"W
OS Eastings: 298149
OS Northings: 87713
OS Grid: SX981877
Mapcode National: GBR P3.3ZNT
Mapcode Global: FRA 37P8.SL6
Entry Name: Ebford Manor
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104182
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88603
Location: Clyst St. George, East Devon, Devon, EX3
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Clyst St. George
Built-Up Area: Ebford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Clyst St George
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 98 NE WOODBURY EBFORD
1/96 Ebford Manor
Substantial detached house. Built in 1710 for Robert Venn of Woodbury, clothier,
with mid C19 and early C20 extensions. Local red brick, in Flemish bond with burnt
headers. Steeply hipped slate roof. Rear central staircase plan; double depth
with rear wing extended in the mid C19; the principal rooms on the ground and the
1st floors occupy the entire depth of the house. Single storey front wing
(originally an organ chamber) of circa 1909. External end stacks. 3 storeys.
Front: symmetrical, 1:3:1 bays, the middle bays projecting under a pediment
containing a shield; moulded cornice, parapet, rusticated quoining to all angles.
Central portico, Greek Doric columns, entablature, the frieze with triglyphs;
doorway with panelled reveals and soffit. All windows are hornless sashes, 12
panes to all except 2nd floor which have 3 panes up, 6 down. Single-storey wing
projecting left with sash and French windows; the front angles cut away in a
Right-hand elevation: central external stack, the parapet ramped to either side and
panelled to shaft; shield and sundial to 2nd floor; the flues are taken up to
either side of a central window to ground and 1st floor (see interior); the false
12 pane sash survives to 1st floor, but has been replaced at ground floor level;
fenestration otherwise as front.
Left-hand elevation: sash windows to either side of external stack, those towards
the front blocked.
Rear: irregular fenestration; mostly 12 pane hornless sash windows, some under
depressed window arches.
Interior: principal ground floor room with a complete (and intact) contemporary
trompe l'oeil panelling scheme in soft duck egg green; elaborate grey marble
chimney piece, with cornice and triglyphs; centre and flanking mirrors, the central
mirror acting as a concealed casement window. Opposite this room (to the left of
the vestibule) is a reception hall entered through a wide 4-centred arch, now
partially filled. Staircase, replaced circa 1840, open-well, wreathed rail and
bobbin balusters. Main lst floor room with a later (i.e. C19) and less
accomplished trompe l'oeil scheme; marble fire surround, with gilt wooden
chimneypiece, fluted half columns and pediment, and plaster of Paris necking and
bases; mirror opens out as a casement window. Internal panelled shutters to most
rooms. Some smaller contemporary fireplaces. Organ chamber with cardboard
Historical note: the rear wing is attached to the old farmhouse (Haydon's
Farmhouse, q.v.) in which the Venn family lived whilst Elbford Manor was being
Reference: Ursula W Brighouse, Woodbury, A View from the Beacon, (1981) pp.98, 241,
Listing NGR: SX9814987713
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings