History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hayes Raleigh House

A Grade II Listed Building in Lympstone, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6511 / 50°39'4"N

Longitude: -3.4311 / 3°25'51"W

OS Eastings: 298927

OS Northings: 84472

OS Grid: SX989844

Mapcode National: GBR P3.RNYB

Mapcode Global: FRA 37PC.53R

Entry Name: Hayes Raleigh House

Listing Date: 11 November 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1104224

English Heritage Legacy ID: 88504

Location: Lympstone, East Devon, Devon, EX8

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Lympstone

Built-Up Area: Lympstone

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Lympstone Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Lympstone

Listing Text

SX 98 SE LYMPSTONE BURGMANN'S HILL, Lympstone

5/4 Hayes Raleigh House
11.11.52

- II

Large detached house, formerly Lympstone Rectory, and at the time of the resurvey
(June, 1985) in multiple occupation. A circa 1700 remodelling of an older house,
with later, principally C19 alterations and additions. Mostly brick in Flemish
bond, with a cross wing in rendered dressed sandstone, and a left-hand extension in
plastered cob. Turnerised slate hipped roofs. Originally a 3-room cross-passage
plan house with the service end to the right of the passage and which was heated by
an internal end stack of dressed sandstone the brick shaft of which emerges through
the front face of the present roof. Part of the roof of this build survives. The
hall was heated by an external rear lateral stack of dressed stone which now
protrudes into the rear corridor, and is visible externally by a plastered brick
axial shaft. A dressed stone parlour cross wing, coeval with or earlier than the 3-
room cross-passage plan house now contains the principal circa 1700 rooms. At this
time the house was widened by the addition of a rear corridor and rear stairwing,
and extended to the right, i.e. east. A rear wing and various single-storey
additions at the east, including a conservatory, were added in C19, when the whole
house was refenestrated. 2 storeys.
Front: 4 window range, each window bay separately gabled under hipped roof, the
entrance bay slightly projecting. One 16- and 3 12-pane hornless sash window to 1st
floor; tripartite hornless sash windows to either side of main entrance, with 8:12:8
and 4:12:4 panes respectively. Inner face of cross wing with 4-pane hornless sash
window with margin panes to 1st floor, 12-pane hornless sash window below. Main
door with large panels and HL hinges; canopy with panelled underside, all circa
1700. 2 contemporary lead rainwater heads. The front face of the wing contains no
windows, and a small external stack. Single-storey, half-hipped additions to right-
hand side, with casement windows, with a late-C19 conservatory; these extensions
stand forward of the main front and are joined by another entrance with a stone
chamfered arch, set diagonally. A single-storey extension to the principal room,
late C19, occupies the angle between the cross wing and the left-hand cob extension
of the main range.
Rear: some old windows survive: a 12-pane fixed window with thick glazing bars,
circa 1700, lights inner face of stair wing; two 1st floor casement windows to main
range, one with 15-leaded panes per light, the other (under a segmental window arch)
with 18; below, a 3-light casement window with trefoil headed C19 lights, but with
circa 1700 (or earlier) deeply chamfered surround. Large, elaborately decorated
brick stacks, to end of C19 rear wing, and main-range right-hand end elevation,
hornless sash windows to this side. A modillion cornice extends around all the pre-
C19 components of the house, and could be of circa 1700.
Interior: cross wing front room with 2 tiers of large fielded panels and cyma recta
cornice; fire surround and overmantel, all of timber, with original cornice, but the
rest much altered retaining some inlaid fielded panels, and reeded pilasters with
Ionic capitals that may be original; fielded panel doors to rear, one with Ionic
pilasters. Plaster ceiling with simple roundel and moulded cross beams. Cyma recta
moulding extends along length of corridor to rear of former external stack and
original outside wall of earlier house; fielded panels to either side of cross
passage; oak dog-leg stairs, turned fluted newels, bobbin balusters, ramped rail,
with associated panelled dado with ramped cornice. Cross-wing front chamber, with
concave moulded cornice; fire surround, lugged with elaborate key motif frieze, and
central Bacchanalian panel; present bathroom with fielded panel corner cupboard. A
C19 fireplace in the main-range ground-floor room to the left of the passage,
retains some attractive Delft-type tiles, with varied river and canal scenes with
sailing boats and barges.


Listing NGR: SX9892784472

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.