This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6503 / 50°39'1"N
Longitude: -3.4301 / 3°25'48"W
OS Eastings: 298993
OS Northings: 84381
OS Grid: SX989843
Mapcode National: GBR P3.RWR7
Mapcode Global: FRA 37PC.5J5
Entry Name: The Manor
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104225
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88505
Location: Lympstone, East Devon, Devon, EX8
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Lympstone
Built-Up Area: Lympstone
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lympstone Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 98 SE LYMPSTONE BURGMANN'S HILL, Lympstone
5/5 The Manor
Detached house. 1760 with later alterations. Brick, in Flemish bond; hipped slate
roof, partly concealed behind parapet. Double-depth plan, the main rooms to either
side of former entrance hall heated by paired internal end stacks. 3 storeys.
Front: symmetrical 2:1:2 bay front, the central bay projecting slightly. 2nd floor
with C18 hornless sash windows, 3 panes above, 6 below; 2nd floor with C18 12-pane
hornless sash windows; all with brick window arches and external louvred shutters.
The ground floor has been much altered; 2 rectangular bays with parapets and
pilaster quoins flank the central entrance over which the parapets are carried as a
cornice supported by openwork iron posts with decorative spandrels. 4-light late-
C20 bay windows; and a 2-light window of the same date occupies position of former
central doorway. To either side of the bay windows and flush with them are open-
work iron verandahs, probably early-C19; that to the right returns to form a verandah
along the right-hand end elevation and is glazed. This elevation has hornless sash
windows (of 9- and 12-panes) and one small casement. 2 casement windows only to
left-hand side. Interior not inspected.
Listing NGR: SX9899384381
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings