This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7915 / 50°47'29"N
Longitude: -1.0994 / 1°5'57"W
OS Eastings: 463573
OS Northings: 99491
OS Grid: SZ635994
Mapcode National: GBR VPQ.39
Mapcode Global: FRA 87L0.1HQ
Entry Name: Former Barracks to Rear of Portsmouth Grammar School
Listing Date: 8 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104363
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474791
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
County: City of Portsmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: St Thomas
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ6399 HIGH STREET
774-1/12/484 (South East side)
08/07/98 Former barracks to rear of
Portsmouth Grammar School
Formerly known as: Cambridge Barracks HIGH STREET.
Soldiers barracks, now part of school. c1856-58. Red brick
with paler brick dressings, ridge stacks and slate hipped
roof. Late Georgian style.
PLAN: 4 pairs of back-to-back soldiers rooms separated by
through passages with stairs, cook house at S end and central
office section with through arch.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. 23-window range. Long plain range with
regular rubbed-brick flat arches to 6/6 pane sashes. Central
round-arched entrance to vaulted through arch, and doorways in
between pairs of former barrack rooms; similar fenestration to
rear, SW, elevation, with projecting bays to the through
passages opposite the entrances.
INTERIOR: fire-proof cook house at the S end has a stair bay
against the gable containing a cast-iron stair in curved wall
brackets, the lower rooms have heavy cornices and cast-iron
T-shaped cross beams.
HISTORY: first shown on 1861 OS map, and probably built at the
same time as the officer's quarters opposite, 1856-8 for
regiments passing through Portsmouth. Of interest for the
internal fireproof kitchen, and as part of the former
Cambridge barracks with the officer's quarters, now Portsmouth
Grammar School, and outbuildings attached to the S (qv). This
is part of the only complete barracks that survives in an area
just inside the old Portsmouth Lines, which in the C19
contained a large amount of barrack accommodation.
Listing NGR: SZ6353399541
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings