This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6033 / 50°36'11"N
Longitude: -4.1623 / 4°9'44"W
OS Eastings: 247077
OS Northings: 80404
OS Grid: SX470804
Mapcode National: GBR NV.CBPN
Mapcode Global: FRA 275G.VLD
Plus Code: 9C2QJR3Q+83
Entry Name: Church of St Michael De Rupe
Listing Date: 21 March 1967
Last Amended: 7 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104836
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92287
Location: Brentor, West Devon, Devon, PL19
Civil Parish: Brentor
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 48 SE BRENTOR BRENT TOR
7/41 Church of St Michael De Rupe
- (formerly listed as Church of
21.3.67 St Michael)
Parish church. Probably largely C13 with C15 alterations and C15 tower. Evidence of
considerable repair. Restoration of 1889-1890. Local volcanic stone, formerly
rendered, with local Hardwick stone dressings, lead roof concealed behind parapets.
Small C13 nave and chancel plan, east front masonry indicates narrow width of
previous chancel. In the C15 the tower was added and the chancel extended to the
same width as the nave, and the probably steeply-pitched C13 roof was replaced by an
almost flat C15 roof protected from the weather by tall battlemented parapets
supported on the C13 corbel table. Very exposed position and fortified appearance
with 1 window only to north and south sides and deep battlemented coped parapet
carried on C13 moulded corbels, some replacement of parapet and corbels.
Unbuttressed throughout. East wall partly rebuilt in roughly dressed coursed stone,
chamfered plinth to south only. Triple lancet window with square-head looks C19.
South side has chamfered arched doorway under bead hoodmould with 1 pyramid, 1 bar
stop. South doorway opposed to north porch. 1 round-headed circa C12 window on
south side, change in plane of south wall indicates rebuilding. North side has
single lancet circa C13 window, evidence of rebuilding in change of wall plane.
Slate memorial to Walter Batten of Brinsabach (q.v.), buried 1677, fixed to north
wall. Small 3-stage battlemented C15 west tower has 2 moulded strings, no west door.
West face has round-headed window to first stage. Rectangular opening on north face
to bellringers' stage, round-headed openings with carved spandrels on north, south
and west faces. Slate sundial fixed to exterior south wall of tower dated 1642 has
initials W.B. for Walter Batten (q.v. Brinsabach) and 12 zodiacal signs carved on the
border. Battlemented north porch has shallow-moulded arched doorway, some moulded
stones replaced, and north face largely rebuilt. Porch has shallow stone benches and
probably late C19 roof of unusual section. Chamfered arched inner doorway under bead
Interior No chancel arch, unmoulded tower arch. Circa C15 octagonal font on
octagonal stem and base. Rim of bowl retains fastenings for font lock. Almost flat
roof of 1889-90, said to be a copy of the C15 roof: massive rafters, moulded to the
nave, unmoulded to the chancel, rest on heavy bead-moulded wall plates supported on
long plain corbels. 6-sided drum pulpit of 1884-1890 has moulded cornice above
frieze of pierced rectangular panels. Benches and altar rail contemporary with
pulpit. East window signed James Paterson, 1971.
Brentor church is built on the summit of a tor which is surrounded by probably iron
age earthworks. The first church on the site was built circa 1130 by Robert Giffard,
Lord of the Manor of Lamerton, and may have been built as a chantry chapel. The site
of the church makes it a landmark for miles around.
Listing NGR: SX4707780402
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings