History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church and Churchyard Wall to the North

A Grade II Listed Building in Brentor, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6125 / 50°36'45"N

Longitude: -4.1464 / 4°8'47"W

OS Eastings: 248232

OS Northings: 81398

OS Grid: SX482813

Mapcode National: GBR NW.BNT4

Mapcode Global: FRA 276G.2FS

Entry Name: Christ Church and Churchyard Wall to the North

Listing Date: 7 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1104798

English Heritage Legacy ID: 92290

Location: Brentor, West Devon, Devon, PL19

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Brentor

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Brentor

Listing Text

SX 48 SE BRENTOR NORTH BRENTOR

7/44 Christ Church and churchyard wall
- to the north

GV II


Chapel of Ease to the church of St Michael, Brentor. 1856 by Richard Gosling of
Torquay, financed largely by Mrs Isabella Holwell, Admiral Octavius Vernon and Mrs
Danby. Roughly dressed stone with granite dressings and slate roof. Small Early
English style chapel with shallow chancel, nave, west tower, north west porch and
south east vestry, 2-bay chancel has moulded coped gable with granite kneelers and
triple lancet east window below hoodmould with moulded corbels. Clasping buttresses
to east and west ends of nave, north and south sides have buttresses with quoins and
set-offs between moulded granite single lancet windows. Lancets recessed, with
splayed sills, moulded granite string below windows. South east 5-sided vestry has
deep pyramidal roof. North west porch has moulded coped gable with kneelers and
moulded arched granite outer door, similar inner door. 3-stage battlemented west
tower has semi-circular south stair turret with small rectangular chamfered stair
windows. Tower has clasping buttresses with set-offs, 2 moulded strings at base,
granite band below parapet and octagonal corner pinnacles with finials. North, south
and west sides have chamfered lancets with hoodmoulds at bellringers' stage, similar
lancets with slate louvres at belfry stage. North side has similar lancet at first
stage. Moulded arched west doorway with hoodmould.
Interior Moulded granite chancel and tower arches without capitals. 5-bay moulded
arch brace roof to nave with heavily moulded purlins and wall plate, principals
spring from moulded granite corbels. Chancel roof collar rafter. Narrow chamfered
stopped doorway into vestry. Nave windows have moulded granite inner arches, east
window has engaged shafts with bell capitals. Set of contemporary glass by Alfred
Beer of Exeter: pictorial in the east window and the window opposite the north door
commemorating Isabella Holwell. Window above pulpit has text on scroll, other
windows quarries with borders. Granite font probably of 1856 has bowl decorated with
bold trefoils on stem of clustered shafts. Font cover and other fittings 1930s, when
the plaster was removed from the walls. Stone rubble wall of 1856 surrounding
churchyard to the south included for group value. Wall has granite capping and
curves towards the north porch with granite gate piers with gabled caps. The church
cost £1,003 to build. Its unarchaeological gothic style is unusual in the Diocese of
Exeter in the late 1850s.


Listing NGR: SX4823281398

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.