This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9048 / 50°54'17"N
Longitude: -4.2844 / 4°17'3"W
OS Eastings: 239474
OS Northings: 114186
OS Grid: SS394141
Mapcode National: GBR KF.R8FS
Mapcode Global: FRA 16XQ.2PV
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 18 December 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91925
Location: Bulkworthy, Torridge, Devon, EX22
Civil Parish: Bulkworthy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bulkworthy St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS31SE BULKWORTHY CP VILLAGE CENTRE
7/23 Church of St Michael
Anglican parish church. C15, restored 1874. Random rubble local stone, slate roofs with
decorative ridge tiles, porch and south aisle under same roof slightly higher than nave.
Chancel and nave undivided, 2-bay south aisle abutting south porch with chamber above
reached by external stone stair, bell-cote west end. Vest gable end 2 full-height
stepped buttresses carrying relieving arch and gabled bell-cote hung with 2 bells, 2-
light west window, escutcheon below relieving arch containing date and initials I.C.M.S;
south wall of nave unlit, lateral stone stair of 11 steps to round-headed doorway to
room over porch, plank door. Pointed arch-head double roll noulded opening to porch, C19
rafter roof, depressed Tudor arch head doorway, C19 door; trefoil-headed lancet above
porch, two 2-light cinquefoil-headed windows with hoodmoulds, 3-light uncusped at east
gable ends, pointed arch lancet in north wall of chancel, to west two 2-light windows
with hollow-chamfer granite mullions under square hoodmoulds with a stepped buttress
between. Interior of porch rendered with flat plasterboard roof, otherwise featureless.
Interior of church rendered. Two bay arcade of granite with depressed Tudor arch heads,
and octagonal capitals with panels of birds and Christian symbols. Trefoil-headed
hagioscope in north-west corner of aisle looking into nave. Partly renewed ribbed and
ceiled barrel vault roof with bosses and wallplate in chancel, original ceiled ribbed
barrel vault to aisle with wallplate and bosses. Octagonal pulpit with carved panels in
memory of William Newcombe of Bankford died 1854. Norman front with cable-moulded base
on C19 plinth. C19 decorative wooden reredos inset with slate tablets, altar table and
floor tiles all coeval. C19 pews. C19 stained glass in East window. Floor carpet may
possibly conceal tomb slabs. C19 pews. There is no electric light in the church. It is
said that an inscription in the church, since lost, attributed its building to Sir
William Hankford, Chief Justice of the King's Bench, in the years 1414-22. The initials
on the bell-cote are those of J.C.Moore-Stevens who paid for most of the 1874
restoration. (White's Devonshire, 1878; Cherry and Pevsner, The Buildings of England,
Listing NGR: SS3947414186
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings