This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8962 / 50°53'46"N
Longitude: -4.2982 / 4°17'53"W
OS Eastings: 238476
OS Northings: 113261
OS Grid: SS384132
Mapcode National: GBR KD.RYSY
Mapcode Global: FRA 16WQ.WV7
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 14 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105113
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91555
Location: Abbots Bickington, Torridge, Devon, EX22
Civil Parish: Abbots Bickington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Abbots Bickington St James
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 31 SE
2/1 Church of St James
Parish church. Circa 1300 restored in 1868. Stone rubble walls. Gable-ended slate
Plan: nave and chancel, south transept and west tower - all probably of the same
date, north porch may be slightly later. Restored and reseated in 1863.
Exterior: low west tower with dwarf pyramidal roof, battlemented without pinnacles.
No buttresses or west doorway. Small pointed belfry openings to north and south. 2
windows on south side - one to nave and one to transept - 2 light with simple
Decorated tracery. Small C15 East window which has 2 cinquefoiled lights. North
and south chancel walls have simple trefoiled lancets of circa 1300 and the nave has
a similar C19 window on its north wall. Gabled north porch with chamfered 2-
centred arch doorway.
Inside: C14 south doorway chamfered with 4-centre arched C17 or C18 panelled door.
Chancel wallsare plastered, otherwise the internal walls are rendered. There is no
chancel or tower arch and an unmoulded plastered pointed arch to transept. Over the
chancel is the old wagon roof with moulded ribs and carved bosses. Otherwise a C19
arch-braced and crown post-roof. The chancel floor has medieval Barnstaple tiles
some with fleur-de-lys motif. In south chancel wall is original piscina with
trefoiled head. The simple fittings are completely C19.
Good wall memorial in north-east corner of chancel to Thomas Pollard who died 1710;
nowy headed slate plaque with Corinthian column either side surmounted by scrolled
pediment with armorial shield at centre and large figure of kneeling angel to left.
Swags of flowers and fruit at base.
East windows is made up of fragmented piece of medieval glass depicting various
saints and Christ's crucifixion.
This is an unspoilt example of a small early church, modest in size but with a
number of interesting features and very picturesque appearance.
Source: Kelly's Directory 1966
Listing NGR: SS3847613261
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings