This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9296 / 50°55'46"N
Longitude: -4.0414 / 4°2'29"W
OS Eastings: 256635
OS Northings: 116445
OS Grid: SS566164
Mapcode National: GBR KR.PQ0X
Mapcode Global: FRA 26FN.7C5
Entry Name: Barn and Horse Engine House, Covered Entrance and Former Stables Approximately 20 Metres to West of Great Barlington Farmhouse
Listing Date: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105005
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91788
Location: Roborough, Torridge, Devon, EX19
Civil Parish: Roborough
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Roborough St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 51 NE
8/172 Barn and horse engine house,
- covered entrance and former stables
approximately 20 metres to west of
Great Barlington Farmhouse
Barn, covered entrance and stables. Probably early C18 with some minor late C19 or
early C20 alterations and additions. Cob on stone rubble plinth with gable-ended
corrugated-iron and asbestos roof (formerly thatched), stepped down slope. Minor
additions of squared snecked stone with red brick dressings and Welsh-slate roofs.
Plan: Range of buildings facing farmyard to east (ground falls to right). C18 barn
to left with opposed cart entrances and c.1900 square-ended horse-engine house
projecting at right angles from its right-hand end. Circa 1900 lean-to addition in
front of right-hand end too. Lower C18 range to right consisting of covered farmyard
entrance to the left and former stables (present milking parlour) to right with
c.1900 lean-to addition in front, One storey and loft with one-storey additions.
Exterior: Barn to left has a pair of large plank doors (right-hand one 2 leaf) with
wooden lintel. Two narrow vents to the left of the entraance (right-hand one
blocked). Circa 1900 lean-to addition to right of entrance with 2 doorways.
Triangular owlhole in the left-hand gable end of the barn. Rear cart entrance also
with a pair of large plank doors.
Right-hand range incorporates the covered entrance to the farmyard, open up to eaves
level, with flanking stone piers and wooden lintels. Former stable to the right has
a row of 5 pigeon nesting holes below the eaves. Small c.1900 lean-to addition in
front to right.
Interior: The barn has a C18 seven-bay roof with pegged trusses consisting of
straight principals and lap-jointed collars. Horse engine house retains huge spine
beam and some line shafting. Roof over right-hand range also has a C18 roof with
trusses consisting of straight principals and collars.
This range of buildings forms a part of a compelte farmstead group, including Great
Barlington Farmhouse (q.v.) and a range of shippons (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SS5663516445
Other nearby listed buildings