This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9211 / 50°55'15"N
Longitude: -4.0449 / 4°2'41"W
OS Eastings: 256361
OS Northings: 115502
OS Grid: SS563155
Mapcode National: GBR KR.Q93R
Mapcode Global: FRA 26DN.ZZC
Plus Code: 9C2QWXC4+C2
Entry Name: Upcott Barton and Outbuildings Adjoining to Rear
Listing Date: 16 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309009
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91645
Location: Beaford, Torridge, Devon, EX19
Civil Parish: Beaford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Beaford All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 51 NE
8/27 Upcott Barton and outbuildings
16.1.52 adjoining to rear
Shown on 0.S. map as Higher Upcott.
Farmhouse and adjoining outbuildings. Probably C16, heavily remodelled in the late
C18 or early C19. Later additions probably also of the late C18 or early C19.
Rendered, probably over stone rubble and cob, and with gable-ended scantle slate
roof. Stone lateral stack to rear and end end stacks with early C19 red brick top
stages. Stone rubble and cob additions at rear with Welsh-slate and asbestos-slate
roofs, hipped over end of rear wing. Stone stacks to rear additions.
Plan and development: C16 three-room and through passage plan, facing south (ground
falls to left). Hall with large external stack to rear, through passage to left and
former service room beyond to left with integral end stack, and former inner room to
right also with integral end stack. The hall stack probably formerly heated an open
hall (see high-arched fireplace). Parallel kitchen range added to rear of hall and
passage, probably in the C18, with integral end stack to right.
Early C19 remodelling included the insertion of a new principal entrance and
staircase between hall and former inner room. Porch probably added to through-
passage entrance at the same time. Service wing projecting at right angles to the
rear of the left-hand end probably added in the C18 or early C19, with an integra end
stack. Small service courtyard enclosed at rear by range of outbuildings to north
and wall to east, probably also both late C18 or early C19. Later C19 alterations
included the insertion of a second staircase to the rear of the through passage, in
the parallel rear range. Two storeys.
Exterior: Early C19 guttering with lion masks, and early C19 square wooden bellcote
in ridge off-centre to left with louvres and tented lead cap. Almost symmetrically-
fenestrated front, with 5 windows to first floor and 4 to ground floor; early C19
glazing bar sashes, 12-pane to first floor (lower leaves of 4 x 2 panes and upper
leaves of 4 x 2 panes) and 16-pane to ground floor (each leaf of 4 x 2 panes). Left-
hand ground floor window replaced by mid C19 six-pane (3 panes to each leaf). Two
central ground-floor windows light hall. All front windows with slate cills.
Segmental headed passage doorway between first and second windows from left has
probably early C19 nail-studded boarded door and beaded wooden frame. Gabled porch
with flagged floor. Small inserted window to left of porch. Inserted early C19
doorway between first and second windows from right has 8-panelled door (lower 2
panels reeded flush and upper 6 panels moulded) with moulded architrave, and recessed
porch with wooden doorcase consisting of unfluted Doric half columns supporting
frieze and cornice. Old sundial on wall above porch, with wrought-iron gnomon.
First floor boxed 12-pane glazing bar sash in left-hand gable end. Small early C19
margin-light small-pane wooden fixed window to rear, lighting top of early C19
staircase. Large rear lateral stack with chamfered offsets. Parallel kitchen range
to rear has first-floor 12-paned glazing bar sash (later replacement) and ground-
floor 16-pane glazing bar sash. Segmental-headed early C19 nail-studded boarded door
to right, and slightly projecting porch with first-floor C18 glazing bar sash.
Courtyard side of rear wing has probably late C18 or early C19 three-light leaded
wooden casement (with central opening metal light) and 2 ground-floor windows of the
same date, later reglazed. Outbuildings at rear of courtyard have a row of pigeon
holes in loft and ground-floor late C18 or early C19 three-light wooden window
(later reglazed). Through carriageway to left with wooden lintels and pair of large
boarded doors to rear. Wall enclosing east side of courtyard has boarded doorway.
Interior: Thorough internal late C18 or/early C19 remodelling too. Much c.1800
joinery throughout including doors with 6 raised and fielded panels and moulded
architraves. Large stone fireplace (possibly rebuilt) to rear of hall with high
dressed stone segmental arch and 2 bread ovens. Blocked doorway to left of
fireplace. Probably C19 matchboarded dado, and splayed reveals to front windows,
also with matchboarding. Early C19 cupboard in right-hand wall with pair of 2-
panelled doors. Wide through passage with stone-flagged floor. Reused C17 panelling
along right-hand wall, cut down for use as dado panelling. Left-hand ground-floor
room has c.1800 cupboards with raised-and-fielded panelled doors, moulded architrave
and moulded cornice. Inserted c.1800 staircase between hall and right-hand ground-
floor room, with open string, stick balusters (2 per tread), columnar foot newel and
swept handrail. Right-hand end room has C17 or C18 stone fireplace with later
surround, and c.1800 panelled window shutters. Mid to late C19 staircase to rear of
through passage with stick balusters and turned newel. Bedrooms also with late C18
or early C19 joinery including 6-panelled doors etc. Late C19 roof over hall range
with machine-sawn king-post trusses. Probably late C18 trusses over rear wing.
There was formerly an old chapel attached to the house, but nothing now remains.
Listing NGR: SS5636115502
Other nearby listed buildings