This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8305 / 50°49'49"N
Longitude: -4.1811 / 4°10'52"W
OS Eastings: 246493
OS Northings: 105709
OS Grid: SS464057
Mapcode National: GBR KK.WYDW
Mapcode Global: FRA 264W.T3V
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105121
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91568
Location: Black Torrington, Torridge, Devon, EX21
Civil Parish: Black Torrington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Black Torrington St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
BLACK TORRINGTON BLACK TORRINGTON
SS 40 NE
7/15 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C15 and C16 possibly with some C14 fabric, restored in 1902-3.
Roughly squared sandstone rubble walls with granite dressings. Gable-ended tile
Plan: nave, south aisle and chapel, north transept, west tower and south porch.
The church is basically a Perpendicular building but the transept may represent the
remains of a C14 structure and there is evidence of Norman origins. The south aisle
was probably an early C16 addition. By 1902 the building had become dilapidated and
its thorough restoration entailed a partial rebuilding under the direction of Revd.
Medley Fulford and Mr. Lucius Reichel. The work involved a restoration of the nave
roof, part of the south wall rebuilt, re-laying of the floor and re-seating.
Exterior: 3 stage crenellated west tower with diagonal buttreses and obelisk
pinnacles. 4-centred heads to 2-light belfry openings. 4-centre arched granite
west doorway with hollow and ogee-moulding and inscribed scroll stops. C18 fielded
panel door. West window has had its mullions and tracery renewed in Perpendicular
style. North wall of nave has tall 3-light C17 straight-headed granite mullion
windows. The north transept has a large lateral stone stack on west wall and
possible C14 Decorated 2-light north window. It has a C15 2-light east window. The
north window to the chancel is similar style but smaller and partly restored. East
window is a complete early C20 restoration in Perpendicular style. Small inset
slate plaque to left of window commemorates James Lake, rector 1708. South aisle
has tall C16 3-light granite mullions with segmental heads and buttresses inbetween
wnich date from the restoration. Very shallow arched granite priest's door.
Restored Perpendicular window at west end of aisle. Gabled south porch with 4-
centred granite doorway wnich has double chamfered head and moulded jambs with
capitals. Early C19 panelled gates with spikes above.
Interior: porch has plain early wagon roof partly repaired. Very tall granite
south doorway with depressed 4-centred head, ogee and hollow moulding and ball
Internal walls have C20 plaster apart from chancel which is lined with dressed
5-bay tall granite south arcade of Pevsner A-type piers with 4-centred moulded
arches on capitals carved with raised diamond motif. Very tall tower arch with 4-
centred double-chamfered head. No chancel arch. Simple rubble arch to transept.
In transept is piscina wnich re-uses as its head a piece of stone carved with Norman
zig-zag design. South aisle has good wagon roof with carved ribs, bosses and wall-
plate. Renewed arch-braced roof to nave, chancel and transept probably of 1902.
Unusual C18 screen divides aisle from chapel with 2 tall roundheaded panels bearing
quotations from the Bible and with fluted pilaster to either side of central
doorway. Modern carved pulpit with C17 cupola-shaped sounding board above. C17
altar rails with moulded handrail and turned balusters now stand in front of font.
Octagonal C15 granite font with stringcourse at top of shaft carved with trefoiled
Good slate memorial on north wall to members of Coham family who died at various
times 1722 - 1768. To left and right at top of panel are coloured heraldic shields.
Beyond is another simpler memorial to Stephen Coham buried 1757. At the west end is
a long slate memorial with white fluted column to either side and cornice above.
Surmounted by armorial shield. Inscription on round-headed marble slab to William
Holland Coham Rector of Halwill who died 1852.
On south wall are 3 more simpler early C19 memorials.
Sources: Beatrix Cresswell Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Holsworthy.
Listing NGR: SS4649305709
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings