This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9742 / 50°58'27"N
Longitude: -4.1891 / 4°11'20"W
OS Eastings: 246405
OS Northings: 121702
OS Grid: SS464217
Mapcode National: GBR KK.LW0V
Mapcode Global: FRA 263J.PSZ
Entry Name: Rendle's Down Farmhouse and Attached Outbuilding
Listing Date: 19 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105163
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91470
Location: Monkleigh, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Monkleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Monkleigh St George
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
7/152 Rendle's Down
Farmhouse. C15 hall house, of which the hall and lower end
survive; remodelled, and parlour end built c. 1590. Colourwashed
roughcast over coursed slatestone rubble and cob; gabled
artificial slate roof; stone left end stack; stone lateral stack
to centre of front wall. C15 house had open hall to left of
through-passage and a lower room to right; the lower end was
probably floored originally, and the hall was floored over and
given its lateral stack c. 1590; parlour end, to left, which has
the most cob, was built or rebuilt c. 1590. The building is
sited on a slope with the parlour at the traditional higher end.
2 storeys; 4-window range. C20 door to left; late C19 plank door
to right. Flat rendered arches over late C19 two-light casements,
one-light casement and horizontal sliding sash on ground floor.
First floor has C20 three-light casements to right; first floor
of parlour end to left has two late C16 two and 3-light
ovolo-moulded wood-mullioned windows with leaded-lights. Rear
elevation has C19 plank door and horizontal sliding sash and, to
left, a small late C16 two-light chamfered wood-mullioned
stair-light which has some original glass set in octagonal-shaped
leaded lights. Interior: through passage is flanked by plastered
partitions set beneath beams; beam on left is chamfered, and
projects as slight internal jetty into hall on left. Hall has
blocked fireplace to front, and late C16 ovolo-moulded beams. Two
C15 raised crucks visible at first-floor level; cruck to left.is
chamfered; could not be inspected above ceiling height. Late C16
parlour end to left: staircase and adjoining partition is late
C19; first-floor room has very fine plasterwork of c. 1590:
overmantel with vine trails etc above fireplace; moulded
cornices, and frieze beneath with rosettes and reversed scroll
decoration; the ceiling has scrolled and oak-leaf decoration, set
amongst ribbed strapwork and culminating in central pendant.
Subsidiary features: late C16 two-storey outbuildingto right, of
similar materials, has plank door of same date set in
ovolo-moulded wood architrave with jewel and ogee stops.
Listing NGR: SS4640521702
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings