This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8431 / 50°50'34"N
Longitude: -4.0412 / 4°2'28"W
OS Eastings: 256385
OS Northings: 106821
OS Grid: SS563068
Mapcode National: GBR KR.WB14
Mapcode Global: FRA 26FW.1F9
Entry Name: Nethercott House and Stables Adjoining to North-West
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105237
English Heritage Legacy ID: 93233
Location: Iddesleigh, West Devon, Devon, EX19
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Iddesleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Iddesleigh St James
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 50 NE
4/252 Nethercott House and stables
20.2.52 adjoining to north-west
Small country house. 1871. Believed to have been built by a local architect for
William Arnold. Stone rubble walls of rock-faced rustification. Steep pitched
gable ended tile roofs. Several stone rubble chimney stacks also of rock faced
Plan: double detph plan with side entrance at right end into passage, with small
study to its right, leading to stair hall. To the front of this are the 3 principal
rooms overlooking the garden - the central and right-hand ones are now one L-shaped
room. At the left end of the stairhall and principal rooms is a narrower service
range with kitchen at the rear.
Exterior: 3 storeys. Tall symmetrical 3 window range to the right with larger lower
service rnage to the left. Principal range has a large gable at each end, with
stone copings and armorial shield at apex. 3-light stone mullion window on 2nd
floor of each gable. Below is a 4-light mullion and transom window each with a
small central colonnette. Between the 2 gables is a 2-light mullion window. Large
3-light bay window on ground floor to each side of mullion transomed lights.
Central doorway with side-lights and transom over C19 glazed double doors. At the
left-hand end of this range the chimney stack projects on a corbel table. The
service range set back from the left-hand end has asymmetrical front with 3 mullion
and transom windows and a small gable over the central 1st floor one. The principal
entrance is on the right-hand end wall and has an imposing single storey Jacobean
style balustraded porch. This has a round arched doorway and frieze above the
strapwork devices. Late C19 or early C20 double panelled doors. Irregular rear
elevation has large stair window with square section mullions in large projecting
gable to left. projecting from the right-hand end of the house is a single storey
stable wing with central gable and 3 doorways.
Interior: partly in the Jacobean style with large dog-leg staircase and ceiling of
moulded beams and joists in left-hand room. Other features, however are more
classical such as moulded egg and dart cornices and ceiling bands in the central and
right-hand rooms. The hall and stairs have a panelled and carved dado which is
dated 1903. Both exterior and interior of the house survive relatively unaltered.
To include small section of crenellated walls to north east of house incorporating
gate piers with conical caps.
Listing NGR: SS5638506821
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings