This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4984 / 50°29'54"N
Longitude: -4.1108 / 4°6'38"W
OS Eastings: 250391
OS Northings: 68637
OS Grid: SX503686
Mapcode National: GBR NX.KZYG
Mapcode Global: FRA 278R.494
Entry Name: Pound House
Listing Date: 21 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105488
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92627
Location: Buckland Monachorum, West Devon, Devon, PL20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Buckland Monachorum
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 56 NW
4/35 Pound House
Country house. Dated 1781 built probably on an earlier site, with C19 and C20
additions. Stone rubble walls. Slate hung to the 2 main fronts, otherwise
rendered. Hipped slate roof. 7 slate hung stacks, 3 are lateral, 3 are end stacks,
one is an axial stack and there is a later rendered shaft at the rear.
Unusual plan form roughly H-shaped with asymmetrical arrangement of rooms. Off-
centre entrance passage leads to a long hall which runs along the rear of the main
block and has the staircase at its right-hand end. One room to either side of the
entrance passage, the largest one to the left. At either end a wing projects to the
front originally probably with service rooms in the right-hand one and 2 principal
rooms in the left-hand wing which also extended slightly to the rear of the main
block. A large mid C19 addition was built at the right-hand end although partially
demolished earlier in the C20. In 1938 a further extension was added at the rear of
the left-hand side.
2 storeys with attic. Almost symmetrical 3 bay 2:5:2 window front with outer bays
projecting. All windows are circa late C19/early C20 2-pane sashes; blind windows
at the front of the left-hand wing. Pedimented porch to right of centre has columns
at front pilasters at rear with medallion cornice; the doorway has stone pilasters
and round-headed arch with projecting keystone; probably original 6-panelled door
with semi-circular fanlight. In the angle between the main block and either wing is
a lead rain-water head date 1781 with the initials I.L. The left-hand wing has a
modillion cornice. The left-hand front has a central pediment and a symmetrical
front of 1:4:1 windows identical to those at the front. The central pedimented bay
breaks forward slightly with a Diocletian window at the top. At the left-hand end
is the 1938 extension arcaded on the ground floor.
Interior: The original staircase survives in the hall with open string, wreathed
handrail, column newel and column as vane balusters. The tread ends are
decoratively carved. The room in the front left-hand wing has an ornate cornice and
ceiling band which may be early C19; the chimney piece is slightly earlier in style
with central classical panel, reeded frieze and flower pendants to the pilasters
more typical of the date of the house. Internally the house has several arches in
the corridor and hall similar to that forming the front doorcase. The principal
rooms have panelled shutters and those in the room to the left of the passage are
probably original with fielded panels.
Listing NGR: SX5039168637
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings