This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4987 / 50°29'55"N
Longitude: -4.1109 / 4°6'39"W
OS Eastings: 250389
OS Northings: 68677
OS Grid: SX503686
Mapcode National: GBR NX.KZYB
Mapcode Global: FRA 278R.48Z
Entry Name: Stables Approximately 15 Metres North of Pound House
Listing Date: 26 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1309222
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92628
Location: Buckland Monachorum, West Devon, Devon, PL20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Buckland Monachorum
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 56 NW
4/36 Stables approximately 15 metres
- north of Pound House
Stables. Dated 1847, with circa late C19/early C20 addition and altered internally
in C20. Rendered stone walls. Gable ended slate roof.
The original building is in 3 main sections of rectangular plan: to the left were
stables, to the centre was the harness room and the part to the right, now a garage,
may originally have been a coach house or else further stabling. On the 1st floor
was accommodation for the grooms. In late C19/early C20 further stabling was added
at the front of the left-hand side.
2 storeys with attic. Regular 3 bay 2:1:2 window front with taller projecting gable
at the centre. C20 casement windows. The left-hand section has double doors in the
middle. The central part has a narrow doorway. To the right a wide garage door has
been inserted. To the left of the projecting central part is a stone mounting
At the top of the gable is a large clock - reputed to have come from Plymouth
Dockyard - with a face on each side an octagonal belfry above with weathervane on
the top. The datestone of 1847 is at the apex of the gable. Projecting from the
left-hand end is the later single storey stable extension.
Listing NGR: SX5038968677
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings