This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6789 / 50°40'43"N
Longitude: -4.1023 / 4°6'8"W
OS Eastings: 251562
OS Northings: 88687
OS Grid: SX515886
Mapcode National: GBR NY.6G49
Mapcode Global: FRA 2798.TWT
Plus Code: 9C2QMVHX+G3
Entry Name: Stable Approximately 15 Metres South of Leawood House
Listing Date: 7 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105637
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94303
Location: Bridestowe, West Devon, Devon, EX20
Civil Parish: Bridestowe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bridestowe
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 58 NW
12/60 Stable approximately 15 metres
- south of Leawood House
Stable block. Dated 1711, slightly modified in C19 with addition. Local stone
rubble walls with granite quoins and dressings. Hipped slate roof.
Symmetrical rectangular plan with central passage which originally may have had
loose boxes to either side although the separate access to the right-hand end
suggests that end may have had a different use. Loft on the 1st floor. In the C19
the building assumed its present form with new loose box fittings installed in the
left-hand side and the part immediately to the right turned into a tack room.
Probably at this stage a lean-to was added along the length of the rear wall.
2 storeys. Symmetrical 6-window front of which those on the ground floor are circa
early C19 casements divided horizontally into 2 lights each of 18 panes with
segmental stone arches above. The 1st floor openings are shuttered internally and
there is a loading opening at the centre. Below is the original-segmental headed
granite doorway of a surprisingly archaic style for the date. There is a similar
doorway at the right-hand end of the building. To the left and right of the loading
opening are 2 stone plaques carved with the arms of the Calmady family; the right-
hand plaque also bears the inscription 'Hoc Fecit Iosius' Calmady Anno Dom 1711'.
At the rear an outshut has been built along the length of the building reusing
pieces of worked granite and mullion window heads in its openings. This encloses
the back doorway of the passage which has a granite 4-centred arch.
Interior: The passage has a granite flagstone and cobbled floor with a central drain
running its length and leading from the stables to the left. The stable area to the
left is also cobbled and retains its C19 partitions with iron railings at the top
which have corner posts with finials. Alternating with these are possibly original
columns with moulded capitals. There is also one of these columns in the tack room
to the right of the passage suggesting that it originally performed a similar
function. This good quality stable is an early example, unaltered since the C19 and
still serving its original purpose.
Listing NGR: SX5156288687
Other nearby listed buildings