This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7786 / 50°46'43"N
Longitude: -4.2063 / 4°12'22"W
OS Eastings: 244545
OS Northings: 99993
OS Grid: SX445999
Mapcode National: GBR NS.0CDH
Mapcode Global: FRA 2721.32M
Plus Code: 9C2QQQHV+FF
Entry Name: Winsford Hospital
Listing Date: 15 April 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105657
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94255
Location: Halwill, Torridge, Devon, EX21
Civil Parish: Halwill
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Beaworthy St Alban
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
BEAWORTHY HALWILL JUNCTION
SX 49 NW
- Winsford Hospital
Small hospital. 1899-1900 by C.F.A. Voysey. Rendered walls with stone window
dressings. Slate roof, hipped to left end, gabled to right and with 3 gables and
the front and 2 at the rear. 7 rendered stacks, all axial apart from a front
lateral stack towards the left end.
The plan is very unaltered from the original with an entrance hall to the right of
centre which gives access to a corridor running along the rear of the building onto
which a number of small front rooms open. 2 small wings project at the rear towards
either end between which a C20 sun-lounge has been built.
Single storey. Asymmetrical 16 window front of 1, 2 and 3 light mullions. There is
a large gable to its right; a smaller gable is to the right of centre over the
entrance with another large gable immediately adjoining to its right. The 2 larger
gables are extended to the rear into small wings. The front door is part glazed
with a 2-light window also under the gable immediately to its left. In this gable
is a plaque with an inscription commerating the founding of the hospital by Maria
Medley and bearing the date 1900.
Very unaltered interior with original fittings such as plank doors with their
wrought iron strap hinges; decorative ventilation grills, and chimney-pieces of
which the one in the hall is carved with coats of arms including those of its
benefactress and another has inverted heart design.
This building is a rare example in Devon of a Voysey building which still serves its
original purpose and is very unaltered.
Listing NGR: SX4454599993
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings