This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7741 / 50°46'26"N
Longitude: -4.1839 / 4°11'1"W
OS Eastings: 246115
OS Northings: 99443
OS Grid: SX461994
Mapcode National: GBR NT.0K5B
Mapcode Global: FRA 2731.KTG
Entry Name: Church of St Albans
Listing Date: 22 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326286
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94250
Location: Beaworthy, West Devon, Devon, EX21
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Beaworthy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Beaworthy St Alban
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 49 NE
2/38 Church of St. Albans
Parish Church. The main fabric of the church dates from a rebuild of 1871 although
the base of the tower is medieval. Slate and limestone rubble walls with limestone
dressings. Gable ended slate roof to nave and chancel with decorative C19 ridge
tiles. Conical slate roof with sprocketted eaves to tower.
Plan comprises nave and chancel with west tower and south porch. The earliest
feature of the church is the Norman imposts which have been re-used in the south
doorway. The base of the tower may be C14 on the evidence of a lancet window and
the lack of buttresses, it appears however to have been partially reconstructed in
the C19 possibly subsequent to a lightning strike in 1810 which caused its spire to
be replaced by the present conical roof. The front is also medieval but otherwise
the church appears to have been virtually rebuilt in 1871. In 1849 mention was made
of there being no demarcation between nave and chancel which there now is. The
screen was removed in 1810.
Unbuttressed 2 stage tower which has C19 pointed arched doorway on north side. C19
2-light arched belfry opening with small earlier square light below on north side.
There is no west doorway, the 2-light west window is C19 in Decorated style. Low
down on the south wall is a single lancet which may be C14.
The C19 nave has 2 windows on each side which are 2-light cusped lancets apart from
the east window on the south side which is 1-light. Buttresses at either end of
nave and diagonal buttresses to chancel. The chancel has a similar single light
window on each side and the 3-light east window is in the Decorated style. Gabled
south porch has pointed arched doorway.
Interior: south doorway incorporates 2 Norman imposts carved as ram's heads and 2
contemporary pieces of stone at the base with bands of saltire and pellet carving.
The nave and chancel are very plain with a C19 chamfered arch to chancel and plain
arch to tower which has simple late C19 castellated screen below. The benches and
pulpit all date from the late C19 rebuild. The roof has arch-braced collar beams to
principal rafters. The small granite font has a circular bowl which has been
subsequently cut away on the outside to be octagonal below.
Source: Beatrix Cresswell: Churches in the Deanery of 0kehamnton
Listing NGR: SX4611599443
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings