This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5797 / 50°34'46"N
Longitude: -4.1689 / 4°10'8"W
OS Eastings: 246534
OS Northings: 77795
OS Grid: SX465777
Mapcode National: GBR NV.DWHT
Mapcode Global: FRA 274J.RNB
Plus Code: 9C2QHRHJ+VC
Entry Name: Longhouse at Sx 466 780
Listing Date: 23 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105776
English Heritage Legacy ID: 93924
Location: Lamerton, West Devon, Devon, PL19
Civil Parish: Lamerton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 47 NE
- Longhouse at SX 466 780
Longhouse, now barn. C15 origin, probably abandoned c.1600, with some later
alterations. Slatestone rubble with greenstone dressings, short cob upper parts to
walls, remains of wheat reed thatch under corrugated iron roof. Oriented east/west
on fairly steep slope; a longhouse with hall to left and shippon to right without a
structural division between passage and shippon. The full height solid wall between
hall and passage is a later insertion and may have supported a fire hood. There is
also no partition at higher end of hall. Therefore if the house were originally
divided it would have been by low screens. A curious feature of the plan is the full
height projection at the higher end of the front.
I½ storeys, possibly raised for storage above upper end, north front has projection
to left, not clear for what purpose, and narrow opening, small square opening with
stone lintel and straight joint below, possibly originally deeper, 2-centred arched
stone door opening, chamfered with edge set slate arch, very neat masonry, later door
and corrugated iron lean-to attached to shippon end to right. Higher gable end to
left has loading door with granite cill inserted at upper level; lower gable end has
ventilation slit in stone surround and drain. Rear has stonework rebuilt at higher
and lower ends, possibly originally extended further at higher end, rear door
blocked, single light with cambered brick head inserted, 2 ventilation slits to loft
in shippon, one to right.
Interior passage open to shippon, wall to left probably inserted, no fireplace but
signs of 2 projections, possibly suggesting to a hood; hall end has keeping hole in
north wall, splayed reveals to window openings. One true cruck truss foot to south
built into cross wall, roof over lower end has 2 cut-off beams and mortices remaining
from others, 5 bays including passage, crossed principals with side-pegged collars,
battens for thatch.
This is one of the rare surviving primitive longhouses which originally had no
structural partitions. However the pointed arched door is of quite high quality. It
was particularly interesting because it was abandoned so early and shows clearly its
original plan form without later alterations. It may have been abandoned when
Cleaves, Chaddlehanger (qv) was built, 1585.
(Sources: Alcock, Dr N. : Unpublished notes 1985).
Listing NGR: SX4653477795
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings