This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7343 / 50°44'3"N
Longitude: -3.91 / 3°54'36"W
OS Eastings: 265307
OS Northings: 94483
OS Grid: SX653944
Mapcode National: GBR Q7.83CF
Mapcode Global: FRA 27P4.JKD
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 22 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106035
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95001
Location: South Tawton, West Devon, Devon, EX20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: South Tawton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: South Tawton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 69 SE SOUTH TAWTON SOUTH TAWTON
4/201 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. C15 and C16, major renovation of 1881. Most is built of large
blocks of coursed granite ashlar, older parts of both aisles are more rubbleywith
Cocktree ashlar voussoirs; granite ashlar detail; slate roofs.
Plan: nave and chancel under a continuous roof. North and south aisles both have
east chapels, the larger one is the Wyke Chapel on the northern side. Tall west
tower. Most of the church was rebuilt in the C15 but not in one phase. For example
the oldest walls are those of the aisles but in both cases their east chapel and
parapet is secondary. The porch is probably C16. Vestry new-built in 1881.
Exterior: tall and impressive west tower of 3 stages with set back buttresses,
embattled parapet with corner pinnacles, 2-centred arch with moulded surround to
west doorway and 3-light window directly above has Perpendicular tracery. Both
aisles are 5 bays divided by buttresses. Both 4-bay sections to the nave contain
three 3-light windows with similar Perpendicular tracery and contain a doorway, a
plain 2-centred arch, west of centre. The south doorway has a C16 porch with
embattled parapet and 2-centred outer arch with ovolo-moulded surround. North
doorway is blocked and has a small window above. Windows of chapels and chancel are
different in style through still contain Perpendicular tracery and east window of
chancel, for instance has an elliptical arch head. Narrow priests door at right end
of south aisle and semi-hexagonal rood stair turret marks break between nave and
Wyke Chapel on north side.
Good Interior: nave has a very good wagon roof, now open. It has hollow-chamfered
ribs enriched with 4-leaf motifs, good carved oak bosses and a carved foliate wall
plate interrupted by a series of carved angels in various poses, some playing
musical instruments. Chancel roof (like the porch) is apparently a C19 replacement
but copy of the original. Aisles have original low pitch roofs also with good
carved oak bosses. Tall tower arch is moulded with caps to shafts. 5-bay arcades
both sides are mostly Beerstone with moulded shafts (Pevsner's type A) with caps to
shafts only (all except one carved with foliage). Both have one bay overlapping the
chancel and that on the north side is granite and moulded differently. Floor of C19
tiles including a large number of mostly C17 and C18 graveslabs. Chancel floor a
C19 chequer pattern of black and white marble. In north aisle narrow granite
doorways to rood stair. Plastered walls.
C19 Gothic Beerstone reredos enriched with marble. C19 arch to organ loft north of
sanctuary containing rich early C20 carvings. Altar rail 1903 rebuild of a late C17
one with twisted balusters. C19 oak stalls. Very ornate oak chancel screen with
parcloses in late Perpendicular style is dated 1902 C19 brass eagle lectern. Good
C18 octagonal drum pulpit contains fielded panels inlaid with marquetry Evangelists.
C19 pine benches with tracery carved in the ends; a couple are oak and maybe reused
from late medieval benches. Granite font with simple cusped panels around the bowl
and moulded stem is dated 1851 but the original is there too with a remarkably crude
bowl; it may be Norman. Tower screen similar to and probably contemporary with
Good monuments. The best is that of John "Warrior" Wykes in the north chapel dated
1592; his recumbent figure dressed in armour lays on a granite ashlar chest tomb
and has a Beerstone tester carried on Ionic columns and the whole of this part
carved with strapwork and containing the Wyke arms. South chapel has the unusual
Burgoyne memorial dated 1651, a slate wall plaque carved as a family praying at a
desk. It is framed in Beerstone which also includes carved figures at prayer.
Other good memorials to William Oxenham (died 1743), Francis Moore (died 1739), 2
similar Battishill memorials, both called Thomas, one died 1727, the other 1728.
Others from late C18 and C19. Marble benefaction board recording gift of William
Oxenham in 1731. Painted charity board dated 1890.
This is a particularly good granite church with high quality craftsmanship from all
periods, C15-early C20.
Listing NGR: SX6531094485
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings