This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.948 / 50°56'52"N
Longitude: -3.3302 / 3°19'48"W
OS Eastings: 306651
OS Northings: 117347
OS Grid: ST066173
Mapcode National: GBR LQ.NJ5G
Mapcode Global: FRA 36XL.VTW
Plus Code: 9C2RWMX9+5W
Entry Name: Canonsleigh Barton Farmhouse
Listing Date: 5 April 1966
Last Amended: 17 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106456
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95852
Location: Burlescombe, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
Civil Parish: Burlescombe
Built-Up Area: Westleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Burlescombe St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22/05/2020.
ST 01 NE
Canonsleigh Barton Farmhouse
(formerly listed as Canonsleigh Priory Farmhouse)
Farmhouse. Early C17, maybe associated with a datestone of 1628 (now set on nearby Canonsleigh House), refurbished and reroofed in late C18-early C19. Exposed local stone rubble stack and chimneyshaft; slate roof (formerly thatch).
Plan: four-room plan house facing east-north-east, say east. The largest rooms are those two in the centre and between them an axial stack serves back-to-back fireplaces. The central lobby entrance is onto the side of this stack. The room left of centre was the kitchen and the unheated left end room (now used as a separate cottage) was probably a service room, maybe including the dairy. The large room right of centre is the hall and the right end room was a parlour. It probably once had an end stack. The outshots across the rear maybe original. The hall has always been floored and the house is two storeys with attics in the roofspace.
Exterior: balanced but not really symmetrical four-window front of mostly C19 and C20 casements with glazing bars, but there is, ground floor right end, an original three-light Beerstone window with hollow-chamfered mullions. Roughly central doorway with original oak doorframe with richly-moulded surround and one surviving urn stop. It contains a late C18-early C19 door and there is a contemporary gabled porch with elliptical outer arch. An old West of England insurance plaque has been set in the gable. The main roof is gable ended.
Interior: is largely the result of C19 and C20 modernisations but the original layout is preserved substantially intact and some original carpentry is exposed on the ground floor. The former parlour has a soffit-chamfered crossbeam with rounded step stops. The hall has a four-bay ceiling of plain soffit-chamfered crossbeams and there is a large fireplace here with a soffit-chamfered and scroll-stopped curving oak lintel. It includes the remains of a large oven. No original carpentry shows on the first floor although the owners report finding curving timbers in one of the crosswalls. The late C18-early C19 roof is made up of a series of tie-beam trusses with X-apexes. The collars may be secondary.
This farmhouse appears to be a complete house although some people consider it a wing of a large house which once connected with nearby Canonsleigh House. There is a datestone of 1628 on the latter which would be a good date for this farmhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings