History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Chapel at Fenacre Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Burlescombe, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9525 / 50°57'8"N

Longitude: -3.3261 / 3°19'33"W

OS Eastings: 306948

OS Northings: 117839

OS Grid: ST069178

Mapcode National: GBR LQ.NC62

Mapcode Global: FRA 36XL.J08

Entry Name: Former Chapel at Fenacre Farm

Listing Date: 11 February 2002

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1389700

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488427

Location: Burlescombe, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Burlescombe

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Burlescombe St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Burlescombe

Description

1590/0/10014
11-FEB-02

BURLESCOMBE
Former Chapel at Fenacre Farm

II

Disused private chapel; now outbuilding. Circa C15; altered circa late C18; extended C19. Stone rubble. Corrugated-iron roof with gabled ends.
PLAN: Small single-cell chapel, aligned east-west; doorway towards west end of north side. Roof replaced circa late C18, probably when a floor was inserted and external stairs constructed to loft doorway on north side. Outshut built at east end in C19.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys [originally single storey]. North side has doorway on right with chamfered sandstone rounded arch and jambs and arched timber doorframe inside; external stone stairs to left of doorway to loft door. West end has blocked window in gable; south side, window at centre with relieving arch over; large round arch east window now enclosed within C19 outshut with double-Roman tile roof.
INTERIOR: Walls have remains of plaster. Small square niches in north and south walls. The stone frame of the large east window is missing and the cill lowered. 3-bay roof with two lapped and pegged collar-trusses, halved, crossed and pegged at apex, common-rafters, thatching battens and remains of thatch. Inserted floor replaced C20.
NOTE: Fenacre was occupied by the Lamprey family in the C12, before it was granted to Canonsleigh Abbey in 1177.
The former chapel at Fenacre is a good example of a small private chapel of ease.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.