History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cordwent's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Clayhidon, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9315 / 50°55'53"N

Longitude: -3.1865 / 3°11'11"W

OS Eastings: 316712

OS Northings: 115340

OS Grid: ST167153

Mapcode National: GBR LX.PQJP

Mapcode Global: FRA 466N.4DK

Entry Name: Cordwent's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 15 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1106549

English Heritage Legacy ID: 95662

Location: Clayhidon, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Clayhidon

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Clayhidon St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Hemyock

Listing Text

ST 11 SE CLAYHIDON
2/5 Cordwent's Farmhouse
-
II
House, formerly a farmhouse. Probably late C15 with later alterations and
additions. Random rubble chert; gable end slate roof. Originally a 3-room cross
(probably through) passage plan house, the service end to the right of the passage,
and to the front of this a wing of circa 1900. The house is of jointed cruck
construction and was originally open to the roof. At some point the truss between
the hall and service end was closed, but the roof over the latter shows evidence of
smoke-blackening. The inner room (roof space inaccessible) is jettied into the hall
which was the last room to be floored; the framed partition between hall and inner
room is heavily smoke blackened. The service end stack has been dismantled; the
inserted stack heating the hall backs onto the site of the former passage, and is
constructed of well coursed grey flint. The screen between passage and service end
has gone, but its position is marked on the floor by filled sockets for the muntins.
The doorways to the passage have been blocked, but enough evidence remains in the
outer fabric to confirm the existence of at least the rear one. 2 storeys.
Exterior Front (facing south-): irregular 4 window range; all windows are late C20
casements. Rear with stone leanto. An early planked and studded door set in a
chamfered surround leads into the service room.
Interior: doorway from former passage into hall (between stack and rear wall) with
chamfered cranked lintel and jambs, the stops eroded. Plank and muntin screen
between hall and inner room morticed into jointed cruck; muntins stopped high up (to
allow for the bench which has gone), chamfered, mitred and pegged. Remains survive
of zig-zag and diagonal painted decoration on the head beam and some of the muntin's
although much faded. The joists of the jetty were originally chamfered and curved
at the ends, although these decorative features have almost all been eroded or
destroyed. Chamfered cross ceiling beams with hollow step stops. Hall chamber
fireplace with continuous chamfer to stone jambs and timber lintel. Lath and
plaster framed partition visible between hall and inner room all sooted. Roof: 3
jointed crucks, trenched purlins, cranked collars, and Alcock F2 type apex
carpentry.


Listing NGR: ST1671215340

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.