This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8228 / 50°49'22"N
Longitude: -3.835 / 3°50'6"W
OS Eastings: 270844
OS Northings: 104189
OS Grid: SS708041
Mapcode National: GBR L1.XG99
Mapcode Global: FRA 26VX.PR6
Entry Name: Great Foldhay Farmhouse
Listing Date: 15 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106572
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95615
Location: Zeal Monachorum, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Zeal Monachorum
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Zeal Monachorum St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 70 SW
4/64 Great Foldhay Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Rear includes late C16 - early C17 work; rearranged, altered and
extended circa 1830. Plastered cob and stone rubble; stone rubble stacks with C19
brick chimney shafts; corrugated asbestos roof (said to have been thatch before).
Double depth plan house facing south. The front range is entirely circa 1830 work
and comprises a room with end stack either side of large central entrance hall and
stairway. The rear range appears to comprise hall, passage and service room of a
late C16-early C17 or earlier 3-room-and-through-passage plan house. The inner room
was demolished and the rooms relegated to service use when the front range was added
circa 1830. The hall has projecting rear lateral stack with added C19 oven
projection. 2 storeys.
Symmetrical 3-window front of circa 1830, comprising outer 16-pane sashes and
central first floor 12-pane sash over front door; panelled double doors with
classical doorcase missing its entablature. Both roofs are half-hipped each end.
Most windows on sides and rear are original C19.
Interior is largely result of C19 refurbishment and much of its circa 1830 joinery
is preserved including an open string stair with stick balusters and ramped mahogany
handrail. The rear block however shows some late C16 - early C17 features. The
hall fireplace is blocked but the front of a large late C16-early C17 fireplace
shows. Its sides are ashlar stone (painted over) and the lintel is oak; it has an
ovolo-moulded surround. The passage has a stone flagged floor. There are 2 C17 oak
panelled doors with scratch-mouldings and original iron catches; they may be reset.
It is not clear whether other late C16 or C17 features remain hidden behind C19
plaster. Both parallel roofs are 6 bays with C19 king post trusses reusing a number
of C16 chamfered and smoke-blackened purlins.
This remains an interesting house despite the fragmentary survival of the older
Listing NGR: SS7084404189
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings