This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8777 / 50°52'39"N
Longitude: -3.8741 / 3°52'26"W
OS Eastings: 268245
OS Northings: 110362
OS Grid: SS682103
Mapcode National: GBR KZ.T4C1
Mapcode Global: FRA 26SS.6K2
Entry Name: The Old Glebe House
Listing Date: 19 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106578
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95531
Location: Eggesford, Mid Devon, Devon, EX18
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Eggesford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Wembworthy with Eggesford
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 61 SE
1/60 The Old Glebe House
House, formery rectory. Medieval origins, may include some C17 walling much-
altered between 1782-7 for the Reverend John Churchill by the architect John
Meadows, and extensively refurbished circa 1840;mid C19 extension. Plastered stone
rubble; stone rubble stacks topped with C19 and C20 brick; coated slate roof.
Irregular and unusual layout. House faces garden to south. Double depth plan with
the 3 principal rooms on the front. The right room, the large reception or drawing
room projects forward with canted sides. It has rear stack. Room behind is
entrance hall and main stair with main entrance in rear of right (east) return
wall. Smaller central room with axial stack and breakfast or dining room
projecting a little forward at former left (west) end with end stack. These two
have corridors, service stair and service rooms to rear. Late C19 service block
extension with parallel roofs on same axis as main block on left end and carried
round this end of rear. It is mostly 2 storeys and looks it but the slope on which
it is built allows the original left end to be 3 storeys with attics and has cellar
under central room.
Main garden front of 3 uneven bays, with 4th on left end added in mid C19. Both
main left room and centre room have late C19 glass-sided porch, the latter larger
with canted sides. Above left room 16-pane sashes to first and second floors with
attic casement in gable, and centre room has first floor 20-pane (8/12) sash and
similar dormer casement. Canted bay to right has ground floor full height 24-pane
sashes on all sides and first floor has 20-pane sashes. Bay also has flat stucco
platband at first floor level which carried round right end return. Projecting
eaves on pairs of shaped brackets. Main roof is hipped. Right end wall is blind
apart from original porch towards rear, gable-ended with 12-pane sash in front side
and 6-panelled door with panelled reveals, all fielded. Left end extension has C20
casements and sashes with glazing bars. The original part of rear elevation
includes first floor 20-pane sashes but right (west) end has gabled late C19
extension containing 12-pane sashes in segmental arches.
Interior includes much original joinery including the original geometric stair with
open string, shaped stair brackets, stick balusters, mahogany handrail curtail step
and scroll wreath. Most chimneypieces have been replaced.
The owners research shows that the site is documented back to C13. Accounts exist
for the renovation of the house between 1782-7 for the Reverend John Churchill by
the architect John Meadows.
Listing NGR: SS6824510362
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings