This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8877 / 50°53'15"N
Longitude: -3.8748 / 3°52'29"W
OS Eastings: 268228
OS Northings: 111480
OS Grid: SS682114
Mapcode National: GBR KZ.SB7N
Mapcode Global: FRA 26SR.D9H
Entry Name: Eggesford Station
Listing Date: 19 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106602
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95484
Location: Chawleigh, Mid Devon, Devon, EX18
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Chawleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Chawleigh St James
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/08/2017
SS 61 SE
(Formerly listed as Eggesford Junction Station)
Railway station. Circa 1850, built for the London and South Western Railway; enlarged circa 1890. Probably by Sir William Tite. Local mudstone rubble laid to rough courses; Hatherleigh and Beerstone ashlar detail; stone stacks with one surviving stone chimney shaft, the other two of C20 brick; slate roof.
Double-fronted building, the northeast front onto the main Exeter-Barnstaple road and the southwest front onto the railway platform. From the railway side the plan comprises the waiting room and luggage/parcel store at the left (northwest) end. The waiting room has an end stack. In the centre is the ticket office under a higher roofline. To right of this a through passage separates the ticket office from the station-master's house, a two-room crosswing projecting slightly forward and rear and with an axial stack. A third room to the house was added circa 1890 to the house at the right (southeast) end on the axis of the main block and served by an end stack. The house and ticket office are two storeys, the luggage/parcel office and waiting room are single storey. Restrained Tudor Gothic style throughout. Both fronts have unified but deliberately asymetrical arrangements. All the roofs are gable-ended and all except the extension have shaped kneelers and coping enlivened by a single step. All the windows and doorways have chamfered ashlar reveals and soffit-moulded floating cornices over, including those of the extension. The north-east front onto the road has a 2:1:1:2-window front. Only the gable end of the house has a first floor window. Immediately to right of the house the entrance to the passage has a projecting gabled porch with its outer Tudor arch surmounted by an ashlar plaque bearing a bas-relief heraldic achievement. The southwest front onto the platform has a 1:1:1:2-window arrangement and both the waiting room and original part of the house have canted bay windows. The extension has a first floor gabled dormer and another over the ticket office was put there circa 1890. Most windows contain sashes; some are horned and most have glazing bars.
Interior: includes some plain Victorian joinery detail.
Source: R.A.Williams, The London and South-Western Railway, Vol.2 (1973). Plate 14 shows the station before the extension was built.
Listing NGR: SS6822811480
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings