History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Courtyard Range of Farmbuildings Circa 10 Metres South-West of Spittle Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Chulmleigh, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9458 / 50°56'45"N

Longitude: -3.8773 / 3°52'38"W

OS Eastings: 268212

OS Northings: 117944

OS Grid: SS682179

Mapcode National: GBR KZ.NPL9

Mapcode Global: FRA 26RL.Z4W

Entry Name: Courtyard Range of Farmbuildings Circa 10 Metres South-West of Spittle Farmhouse

Listing Date: 25 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1106738

English Heritage Legacy ID: 97202

Location: Chulmleigh, North Devon, Devon, EX18

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Chulmleigh

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Chulmleigh St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Kings Nympton

Listing Text

CHUMLEIGH
SS 61 NE
3/24 Courtyard range of farmbuildings
circa 1O metres south-west of
Spittle Farmhouse
GV II
Courtyard range of farmbuildings. 1871. Cider-house probably C18. Unrendered stone
rubble. Cider-house of cob and stone rubble. Slate roofs with gable ends. Barn has
asbestos slate roof. Cider house has hipped corrugated iron roof.
Courtyard range of farmbuildings, comprising open-fronted linhays on 2 sides, that to
north side of 7 bays with stone rubble piers that to west side of 6 bays with timber
posts; barn or south side has stone rubble porch projection and double plank doors;
stables adjoining to left has 2 loft doors over cart entrance at left end and 2
windows each side of plank door to right. Granary on east side has loft door at
north gable end, external stone steps removed. The cider-house stands a few metres
north of the courtyard range and has all its fittings, including cider-press with
metal thread, apple-loft, cider racks and apple crushers intact and is still used for
cider-making.
Spittle Farm belonged to the Fortescue Estate until the early C20, the 1871 farm
buildings being a good and little altered example of a planned courtyard range.


Listing NGR: SS6821217944

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.