This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1772 / 51°10'38"N
Longitude: -3.9723 / 3°58'20"W
OS Eastings: 262228
OS Northings: 143850
OS Grid: SS622438
Mapcode National: GBR KV.63HY
Mapcode Global: VH4MF.3NBW
Entry Name: Kentisbury Barton
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106771
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97078
Location: Kentisbury, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Kentisbury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Kentisbury St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 64 SW
5/102 Kentisbury Barton
Barton farmhouse, now divided into two occupations. Probably late C15 or early C16
origins, remodelled - 1672 (datestone), extended and refenestrated in C19, with C20
alterations. Unrendered stone rubble. Slate roof hipped at left end. Impressively
tall front lateral hall stack with offsets and tapered cap. Corbelled out first
floor stone rubble stack at right gable end and rebuilt stone ridge stack at
juncture of rear left-hand wing and main range.
Original plan obscured by later alterations but appears to have consisted of an open
hall to the right of the through-passage with a storeyed cross-wing at the lower
end. The hall appears to have had a stack inserted before being floored over -
presumably when the alterations of 1672 occured. At the same time, a staircase was
inserted in the through-passage. The cross-wing was almost entirely rebuilt in the
C19 when two further gable-ended adjacent rear service wings were added, the centre
range recessed slightly so that the rear of the main range resembles an E-shaped
plan. Also in the C19, the hall was divided into two rooms, and in C20 the
magnificent hall fireplace removed and the house divided into two occupations, the
through-passage being converted into an entrance lobby.
2 storeys. 5 window range. Two windows at left end are C20 replacements: with 2 2-
light and one 3 light C19 casements, 8 panes per light to right. 2 12-paned sashes,
that at left end with slate drip, to left of semi-circular arched doorway with rough
stone voussiors, with late infilling to the jambs to narrow the doorway. Small
stone in left-hand jamb with scratched geometric floral pattern. 3 light casement to
right, 3 panes per light with drip and 3 light stone cavetto mullion window at right
end with hoodmould and datestone over R.R. 1672.
Interior: extensively altered in C20, including the removal in 1935 of the massive
hall stone, chimneypiece (photograph seen) which had a heavily moulded depressed
four-centred arched surround with leaf decoration to the spandrels. There is a
single rough cross ceiling beam, unmoulded. Integral window desk to the hall window
closest to the through-passage. Single surviving C17 turned newel to straight-run
staircase in through-passage. 4 C17 trusses over hall and through-passage with
straight heavy principals and 2 tiers of trenched purlins; halved and lapped nailed
collars, the two over the hall having curved ribs nailed to them indicating that the
first floor chamber originally had a barrel ceiling. Some of the rafters have been
reused and are smoke-blackened. At the left end of the main range, and at right
angles to the C17 trusses, is a single surviving clean truss of the cross-wing roof,
arch-braced with soffit chamfers, the stubs of 3 tiers of threaded purlins and
mortices for 2 tiers of wind-bracing. The arch-braces of a second truss have been
reused to prop the hip of the superimposed roof. The purlins clearly once extended
over the rear wing which was rebuilt in the C19.
This was clearly a house of some distinction and retains an intersting plan form in
that there appears never to have been an inner room beyond the hall.
Listing NGR: SS6222843850
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings