This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1945 / 51°11'40"N
Longitude: -4.0283 / 4°1'42"W
OS Eastings: 258366
OS Northings: 145873
OS Grid: SS583458
Mapcode National: GBR KS.519Y
Mapcode Global: VH4MD.477N
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 9 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106806
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97056
Location: Combe Martin, North Devon, Devon, EX34
Civil Parish: Combe Martin
Built-Up Area: Combe Martin
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Combe Martin St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
COMBE MARTIN RECTORY ROAD, Combe Martin
SS 54 NE
1/80 The Old Rectory
House, formerly the Rectory. Dated 1847. Local stone rubble with Bath stone
dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped gable ends. Stone rubble stacks with
weathered caps. Moulded string at first floor level and chamfered plinth moulding.
Plan: 3 rooms deep. The central entrance hall leads to the stair hall at the
centre of the house. To the right on the garden front there is the drawing room at
the front and the dining room behind. To the left at the front is the smaller study
with a pantry behind. A lateral passage behind the stairhall separates the service
rooms at the back from the main house. The servants' stairs at the left end of the
passage which changes direction at its right end and leads to the back door between
the kitchen at the centre and another room of uncertain purpose on the right.
Exterior: 2 storeys and cellar. Asymmetrical entrance front with a 2-storey gabled
porch at the centre with a moulded 4-centred arch doorway with shields in the
spandrels and panelled double doors, and a 3-light mullion and transom first floor
window with a hoodmould and a shield in the gable above. To the left a recessed
datestone with a hoodmould. To the right a 2-light ground floor mullion and transom
window and a single light window above with a projecting lateral stack to their right
with weathered set-off and shafts with moulded bases has been truncated.
The right-hand return garden front is 3 bays, the left-hand bay is gabled and breaks
forward with a 2-storey canted stone bay with a brattished cornice and stone mullion
transom windows. The 2 bays to the right have 8-lignt mullion transom windows with
The left-hand return is asymmetrical; gable to the right breaks forward with a
shield in the gable and asymmetrical fenestration to the left of various stone
mullion windows, a small gable above and a chamfered 4-centred arch doorway to the
basement. An open timber bellcote over the rear wing has a hipped roof with a
wrought iron weather-vane.
The rear elevation has 2 gables to the right and a 4-centred arch doorway to the
left of centre and various stone mullion windows asymmetrically arranged.
All the windows have ovolo moulded mullions and transoms.
Interior: an oak open-well staircase has a closed string, stick balusters, and
chamfered square newels with moulded caps and pediments.
The drawing room has an original chimneypiece, moulded plaster cornice and sliding
window shutters. The dining room has a Jacobean style debased classical
chimneypiece, a moulded plaster cornice and window shutters. The study has a black
marble chimneypiece and a moulded plaster cornice. The kitchen has a large open
fireplace with 2 bread ovens, one brick lined with an iron door, the other a clay
The first floor was not inspected.
Listing NGR: SS5836645873
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings