History in Structure

Stables, Courtyard Walls and Gate Piers Immediately East of the Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Combe Martin, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.1945 / 51°11'40"N

Longitude: -4.028 / 4°1'40"W

OS Eastings: 258388

OS Northings: 145874

OS Grid: SS583458

Mapcode National: GBR KS.51D4

Mapcode Global: VH4MD.47DM

Plus Code: 9C3Q5XVC+QQ

Entry Name: Stables, Courtyard Walls and Gate Piers Immediately East of the Old Rectory

Listing Date: 9 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169083

English Heritage Legacy ID: 97055

ID on this website: 101169083

Location: Combe Martin, North Devon, EX34

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Combe Martin

Built-Up Area: Combe Martin

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Combe Martin St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Tagged with: Stable

Find accommodation in
Combe Martin


SS 54 NE
1/156 Stables, courtyard walls and
- gate-piers immediately east
of the Old Rectory
- II
Stable and coach house with adjoining courtyard wall and gate-piers. Dated 1846.
Local stone rubble. Steeply pitched slate roof with coped gable ends.
Plan: overall rectangular on plan. Stabling for 5 horses to the right and an
integral coach house to the left with a hay loft over the whole. It faces a
courtyard at the rear of the Old Rectory q.v. which is enclosed by a wall adjoining
the left-hand corner of the coach house with a carriageway through flanked by gate-
Exterior: 2 storeys. The entrance to the stables at the centre with a loft door
above in the central gable; C19 plank doors and lintel with date inscribed. Two 2-
light ovolo-moulded wooden mullion windows to the right and similar but single-light
window to the left of the doorway and the coach house to the extreme left which is
timber-framed above with boarded panels with later pigeon holes. C20 garage doors
in the place of the original coach house doors.
Stone rubble wall adjoining left, enclosing the left side of the stable yard behind
the Old Rectory. The gate-piers in the wall are square on plan and have necking
mould and caps.
Interior of the stables has original low stall partitions, wooden mangers and
troughs lined in lead.

Listing NGR: SS5838845874

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.