This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1469 / 51°8'48"N
Longitude: -3.9829 / 3°58'58"W
OS Eastings: 261395
OS Northings: 140496
OS Grid: SS613404
Mapcode National: GBR KV.80TB
Mapcode Global: VH4ML.XF7M
Entry Name: Stable Block and Coachman's House to Arlington Court
Listing Date: 9 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106818
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96980
Location: Arlington, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Arlington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: East Down St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 64 SW
5/5 Stable block and Coachman's House
- to Arlington Court
Stable block and coachmans house. 1864. Snecked stone rubble with rusticated
ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with gable ends, coped parapets, moulded stone
cornices and lions head guttering.
Plan: 7 bay stable and coachhouse range with a clock tower over the centre bay and
3 bay wing projecting to left with an integral coachman's house attached at the end
of the wing, forming overall L-shaped plan. Baroque style.
2 storeys. 7 bay stable range, with an acarded front, which is carried around a
further 3 bays in wing projecting at right angles to the left. Each bay has a large
rusticated round arch to the arcade and the central blind bay has niche containing
stone carved Chichester shield and 1864 datestone above in the open pediment
breaking the eaves on large stone console brackets. Above is a large octagonal
clock tower, its eaves carried over the clockfaces with rusticated surrounds by
segmental pediment; the clock tower is surmounted by a tall octagonal cupola with
open arcaded sides and dome with a ball finial topped by the Chichester heron. The
right-hand end bay is also blind with a semi-circular headed sash window. The
corners of the stable range are also treated with rusticated quoins. Set back
slightly at the left end of the wing is the coachman's house; 2 storeys, symmetrical
3 bays; 4-pane sashes in rusticated segmental arch openings; similar rusticated
surround to the central segmental arch coach house doorway. The courtyard is
enclosed on the south side with a low stone rubble wall incorporating a mounting
block and ashlar gatepiers with ball finials.
Listing NGR: SS6139540496
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings