This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1473 / 51°8'50"N
Longitude: -3.9839 / 3°59'2"W
OS Eastings: 261326
OS Northings: 140542
OS Grid: SS613405
Mapcode National: GBR KV.7SNM
Mapcode Global: VH4ML.WFQB
Entry Name: Glebe House
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106823
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96990
Location: Arlington, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Arlington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: East Down St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 64 SW
- Glebe House
House, formerly the Rectory. Circa 1825. Stucco faced with slate roofs with semi-
circular ends and deep eaves.
Symmetrical plan: the front range containing central entrance and staircase hall
with principal front room to each side, each with semi-circular ends. Parallel
service range to rear has identical semi-circular ends and is linked by a shallow
block to the front range.
2 storeys with attic storey. 3 bays, symmetrical, flanked by channelled pilasters.
Central semi-circular Doric porch with fluted columns supporting entablature. 6-
panelled door with fanlight with radiating ribs. Fenestration principally intact
throughout. The ground floor windows are tall sashes, their sills almost at ground
level, 6 over 9 panes. Small 12-pane, 1st floor windows. The right- and left-hand
return walls are semi-circular, 2-window, as are the ends of the parallel rear
Interior: fine geometrical staircase to rear of entrance hall with wreathed handrail
supported on delicate wrought iron balustrading. Entrance hall ceiling vaulted,
springing from channelled pilasters. Reeded doorcases with paterae to the top
corners. Decorative plaster cornices to principal rooms the right-hand room
retaining central plasterwork rose and elaborately carved pelmets. Chimneypieces
This is a largely intact Regency-style house.
Listing NGR: SS6132640542
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings