This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0153 / 51°0'54"N
Longitude: -3.4922 / 3°29'31"W
OS Eastings: 295423
OS Northings: 125047
OS Grid: SS954250
Mapcode National: GBR LH.JC42
Mapcode Global: FRA 36KF.K9G
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 5 April 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1106898
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96772
Location: Morebath, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Morebath
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Morebath St George
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 92 NE MOREBATH MOREBATH
2/126 Church of St George
Parish church. Tower possibly C13, north aisle C15, restoration 1874-5 by
Butterfield (Thompson). Local stone rubble; slate roofs.
West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle, vestry against south wall of chancel, south
porch. The saddleback west tower may be C13 in origin but the top stage appears to
have been rebuilt by Butterfield, who also rewindowed the nave, complete set of circa
early C15 windows to the north aisle. The Butterfield restoration included new roofs
to nave and chancel, tiling, font, benches, pulpit and altar Bails and cost £2,000.
Exterior: The nave, chancel and lean-to south east vestry windows are 1874-5; single,
paired and triple cusped lancets. The north aisle is buttressed with a complete set
of early C15 granite windows, freestone to the interior, of a rather unusual
Perpendicular design, the east window of the aisle is a C19 copy. 3 stage saddle
back west tower with a narrow chamfered west doorway, a 3-light 1874-5 Decorated west
window and trefoil headed lancets to the belfry stage, 3 to the west and east faces,
2 to the north and south faces. Buttressed south porch, probably wholly 1874-5 with
a double chamfered outer doorway, north and south quatrefoil windows, a C19 arched
brace roof and a chamfered-inner doorway.
Interior: Plastered walls ; plain rounded tower arch ; chancel arch formed by tie
beam with plaster infill above. 5 bay arcade (1 bay to the chancel), the piers with
capitals only to the corner shafts, chamfered 2-centred arch into vestry. 1874
scissor-braced nave roof, co-eval canted ceiled wagon to the chancel with one main
truss. The exposed ribs, main truss and wallplate all have painted decoration. Late
medieval ceiled wagon to north aisle with moulded ribs and carved foliage bosses.
The fittings are mostly Butterfield except for a C20 reredos with panels of figure
carving, cresting and a co-eval altar. Tiling, communion rail with iron quatrefoils
and choir stalls with shaped ends and pierced quatrefoils. Timber drum pulpit on
some plinth with panels carved with quatrefoils ; nave benches with boldly shaped
ends. The most remarkable Butterfield fitting is the polished marble font with a
moulded bowl, cylindrical stem and 4 shafts on a moulded base.
Monuments: Several late C18 and early C19 wall monuments in north aisle.
Gloss: East window of north aisle 1875 signed O'Connor and Taylor; east window of
chancel and west window probably Gibbs designed Butterfield.
Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project.
Listing NGR: SS9542325047
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings