History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Swithin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Shobrooke, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7983 / 50°47'54"N

Longitude: -3.6148 / 3°36'53"W

OS Eastings: 286292

OS Northings: 101106

OS Grid: SS862011

Mapcode National: GBR LB.Z417

Mapcode Global: FRA 369Z.KJ5

Entry Name: Church of St Swithin

Listing Date: 26 August 1965

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107048

English Heritage Legacy ID: 96420

Location: Shobrooke, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Shobrooke

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Shobrooke St Swithin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Stockleigh Pomeroy

Listing Text

SHOBROOKE CHURCH LANE
SS 80 SE
2/68 Church of St Swithin
-
26.8.65
GV II *
Parish church. Anglo-Saxon/Norman origins; rebuilt with north aisle in C15;
restored circa 1840; and thoroughly restored again in 1879 by Edward Ashworth with
new roofs, window tracery, furnishings and fittings, and south aisle added with
sacristy and porch. Volcanic rubble walls (laid to courses in 1879) with volcanic
ashlar dressings, Beerstone details; slate roofs with crested ridgetiles.
Perpendicular style including most of restoration work. Nave and chancel tie
between north aisle with east chapel and south aisle with sacristy under separate
roofs; south porch and west tower. Most external detail restored in C19 although
size disposition of C15 windows, doorways and buttresses are mostly preserved. All
gables rebuilt with kneelers, coping and stone crosses at each apex. High west
tower of two stages, off-set buttresses, embattled parapet and 5-sided stair turret
to north projecting above tower with embattle parapet. 2-light Beerstone belfry
windows with tracery and louvres, apparently unrestored, although the upper stage
may have been heightened. South aisle of 1879 has a 3-light window each side of
gabled porch with moulded archway and the hood-mould label-stops carved as medieval
royal heads. Small arched door and 2-light window to sacristy further east and
large end buttress surmounted by Beerstone chimney. East window of south aisle has
unusual Perpendicular-style tracery and C19 east window to chancel of Decorated
style : both have hood moulds with label-stops carved as medieval heads. Changes
of masonry show that roofs of cancel and north aisle raised in C19. North aisle of
5 bays with diagonal buttresses each end, 4 Perpendicular windows with C19 tracery
and an unrestored arched door left of centre. South door in 1879 using volcanic
stone. Romanesque arch of half-engaged shafts with bases and cushion capitals
under double chevron ornament; the plain round arch surmounted by a contemporary
carved head. Interior: High C15 tower arch has beerstone lining of palmed and
carved recessed panels with cinquefoil heads. Volcanic stone doorhead to tower
stair and carved round arch (possibly reused Anglo-Saxon-Norman work). Belfry
floor of late C16 - early C14 moulded beams. Main body of church is largely result
of C19 modernisations. 4 bay beerstone arcades between nave and chancel and
aisles. C15th north arcade on moulded shafts with foliate capitals (Pevsners Type
B) but foliage recut circa 1840: Original carving survives only one east-end
respond. South arcade is a matching copy of 1879. Nave, chancel and north aisle
have good C19th wagon roofs. The break between nave and chancel marked by arch-
braced truss resting on stone corbels carved as angels with cheaters. South aisle
roof of 1879 - cusped principals, king-posts on crenellated tie-beams with central
pendants. Apart from two C17 oak pews, all fittings are of 1879. Sandstone
reredos from Hems workshop, Exeter. Minton floor tiles to chancel. Dwarf chancel
screen of iron grille-work decorated with quatrefoils and fleur de lys. Brass
lectern of similar style. Front pews apparently incorporate C15 carved oak panels.
Good late Victorian and Edwardian glass. Two Heaton, Butter and Bayne, stained
glass windows in couter windows of north aisle. In south aisle to left of door
Dixon and Vesey window of 1881 features St Cecilia and angle, musicians and window
to right of door features three art nouveau panels depicting wheat ears, lilies and
grapes.
Ref. M. Harrison Victorian Stained Glass 1980 (plate 62). Devon C19 Churches
Project.


Listing NGR: SS8629201106

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.