History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lych Gate and Stone Wall Approximately 5 Metres North East of Church of St Swithin

A Grade II Listed Building in Shobrooke, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7983 / 50°47'54"N

Longitude: -3.6145 / 3°36'52"W

OS Eastings: 286316

OS Northings: 101107

OS Grid: SS863011

Mapcode National: GBR LB.Z44J

Mapcode Global: FRA 369Z.KNJ

Entry Name: Lych Gate and Stone Wall Approximately 5 Metres North East of Church of St Swithin

Listing Date: 30 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162185

English Heritage Legacy ID: 96423

Location: Shobrooke, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Shobrooke

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Shobrooke St Swithin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Stockleigh Pomeroy

Listing Text

SHOBROOKE CHURCH LANE
SS 80 SE
2/71 Lych-gate and stone wall approx
- 5 metres north-east of Church of
St Swithin
GV II
Lych-gate and adjoining stone boundary wall. Lych-gate of circa 1879 by Edward
Ashworth; boundary wall probably contemporary. Timber-framed gate with iron
fittings and slate roof; volcanic stone wall. Gothick-style, gabled lych-gate, set
on C20 concrete plinth where rotted. Box frame of moulded timbers. Sides are
weather-boarded below middle rail, S-shaped braces above support wall plate and
roof projects front and rear. Gable-end tie-beam trusses with crenellated ties,
queen posts and shaped bargeboards. Low pitch slate roof surmounted by fleuree
cross. Gates, panelled below middle rail, retain original ironwork. Volcanic
stone wall adjoining to right (west) is northern boundary of churchyard. Roughly
coursed stone including large amount of square ashlar on rubble plinth. Steeply-
weathered coping, some replaced with C20 concrete aggregate. Approximately 3.5
metres right of lych-gate an inscribed stone set below coping reads 'The Goode
Heares of Fulford, Churchward, The Yeare 1682'.


Listing NGR: SS8631601107

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.