This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1583 / 51°9'29"N
Longitude: -4.0027 / 4°0'9"W
OS Eastings: 260049
OS Northings: 141802
OS Grid: SS600418
Mapcode National: GBR KT.77TT
Mapcode Global: VH4ML.K4SW
Entry Name: East Down Manor
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107152
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98187
Location: East Down, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: East Down
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: East Down St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 64 SW EAST DOWN EAST DOWN VILLAGE
3/14 East Down Manor
Manor house, late C17 with C18 remodelling to facade and main staircase added in
central extension to rear. 2 large extensions of shale with slate roofs added
at rear in C19. Brick set-off stack and stone stack at ridge. 2 storeys. Main
block 3-1-3. To left, roughly coursed masonry blocks on shale plinth. Central
pedimented bay, flanked by Doric timber copy-book pilasters, apparently altered
or rebuilt with red sandstone with straight joint to left of right-hand
pilaster. Shale infill to left of end. Shale on smaller plinth to right of
this pilaster. 9-paned half-glazed entrance door with triangular pedimented
porch on Doric columns. Sash with heavy glazing bars above bulls-eye window
impediment. 3 sashes with heavier glazing bars, 6 panes per sash, on each floor
to left and centre. Ground floor timber sashes on right are 9 and 6 panes per
sash, 6 panes per sash above, all with moulded sills and flat stone arches.
Above extreme right-hand ground floor sash a plaque dated 1577 over initials PP
to each side of Pine family armorial device probably from original mansion said
to be formerly sited in grounds. South side of original block has canted bay
window with sash above inserted in wide blocked relieving arch. 2 fine front
rooms to each side of entrance hall. That to left had C17/C18 square panelling
in sections between Ionic fluted pilasters on bases with strapwork design
surmounted by various grotesque human and lions heads and continuous carved
panel frieze. Projecting chimney piece has drapery work on overmantel over
plaque with crossed palmetters above scrolled fireplace surround. Room to right
has early C18 panelling. Doorcases and overmantel of chimney-piece have broken
pediments with central ball finials. The room is divided at upper end by basket
arch supports on 2 short lintels pierced by circular openings which project from
Ionic pilasters to rest on pair of Ionic columns. The larger bay has enriched
plaster ceiling with central armorial shield of Pine family bedded in foliate
surround inside double quatrefoil and 2 outer rectangular moulded plaster
strings. First floor front room to north has panelling and coved ceiling.
Central room is panelled, and room adjoining to south has coved ceiling.
Stairway hall to rear has coved ceiling and massive round-arched stairwindow
originally with niches to either side but one to south has been punched through
to enter extension to rear. The entrance front may once have been rendered.
Listing NGR: SS6004941802
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings