History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in East Down, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1583 / 51°9'30"N

Longitude: -4.0016 / 4°0'5"W

OS Eastings: 260126

OS Northings: 141803

OS Grid: SS601418

Mapcode National: GBR KT.782S

Mapcode Global: VH4ML.L4DV

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 25 February 1965

Last Amended: 24 June 1992

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163326

English Heritage Legacy ID: 98185

Location: East Down, North Devon, Devon, EX31

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: East Down

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: East Down St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
East Down

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

SS 64 SW EAST DOWN EAST DOWN VILLAGE

3/12 Church of St John the Baptist

II
25.2.65

the entry shall be amended to read as follows:

SS 64 SW EAST DOWN EAST DOWN VILLAGE
3/12 Church of St John the Baptist

25.2.65 II*(Star)

------------------------------------

SS 64 SW EAST DOWN EAST DOWN VILLAGE

3/12 Church of St John the Baptist
25.2.65
- II

Parish Church. C13 - C19. Surviving C13 fabric to tower, lancet in base and
chancel with lancet in south wall between east end and termination of south
aisle. Blocked C13 opening on nave north wall. Church extensively remodelled
late C15 when south aisle added. C19 refenestration and major restoration in
1886-7. Rubble masonry with slate roof. The tower in position of north
transept with access from nave by unmoulded C13 pointed arch. Three 2-light
belfry openings, single light on south wall, all partially blocked and with flat
pointed arches and slate louvres. Above the eastern opening are 2 stone insets
with encircled cross and dotted quadrants. Small 1671 datestone on first stage
of east wall may indicate repairs and alterations after Civil War skirmish.
Embattled parapets. South porch heavily rebuilt. Round-headed arch with hood
mould supported on Pevsner A-type piers with capitals carved with hunting scene
to left and leaf and shield decorations to right. Porch roof heavily restored
in C19 has some reused timbers. Sundial dated 1709. Pointed chamfered south
doorway. The nave and chancel south arcade has 5 continuous bays with
perpendicular flat pointed arches supported on Pevsner B-type piers, the
easternmost pier being recut. From the west end 2 capitals have leaf and shield
decorations, then a sporting scene, then fern and shield and finally 2 with leaf
and shield decorations. The heavily restored uncoiled waggon roofs to south
aisle, nave and chancel incorporate reused timbers and have plain chamfered
ribs. South aisle has plain piscina and a squint at eastern end of arcade. The
C16 carved rood screen with vaulted canopy was heavily restored in 1925. The
marble font and font cover sits on richly carved late C16 columns tapering at
base, hexagonal with medallions under foliage and ogee arches at top of each
panel echoing detail on screen. East window by Kempe 1898. The south aisle
alter uses ornately-carved timber from the mansion pew. Royal arms badly
damaged on west wall of tower. C19 seating. Early C18 panelled pulpit.
Monuments: north wall of chancel, a stone wall tablet to Elizabeth Pine (died
1679) has shields top and bottom with painted decorations. At east end of south
aisle, wall monument of marble has 2 busts in low relief in ovals with ionic
colonettes. Below shields and above plaque to Edward Pine (died 1663)
'Sometimes Lieutenant-Colonel of Sir Hugh Pollard in the late unhappie warrs'.
At west end a table top tomb to Richard and Walter Hey died 1594 and 1629.


Listing NGR: SS6012641803

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.