This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3971 / 50°23'49"N
Longitude: -3.9135 / 3°54'48"W
OS Eastings: 264093
OS Northings: 56993
OS Grid: SX640569
Mapcode National: GBR Q7.YGGM
Mapcode Global: FRA 28P0.35K
Entry Name: Stowford House
Listing Date: 23 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99187
Location: Harford, South Hams, Devon, PL21
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Harford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 65 NW HARFORD IVYBRIDGE ROAD
23.4.52 Stowford House
Former manor house divided into 3 dwellings.
C16 partly rebuilt and remodelled in C18. Stone rubble, part rendered and ashlar.
Slate roofs. H-shaped on plan. The original to west and north has large external
chimneystack on north side and inside the courtyard the north and west wings have some
hollow-chamfered stone mullion windows with labels. One of the windows and 2 doorways
have roll moulding, one of the doorways with 3-centred arch, the other round-arched
with carved keystones. The west side has C18 3-storey, 3-bay rendered front with sash
windows complete with glazing bars and keystone over. Over the west wing is a large
stone chimneystack with arcaded sides crenellated above and with large stone finial
cap. Another moulded stone stack at north gable end.
Remodelled south wing with tall C18 3-storey, 3-bay south front, partly built of
ashlar and with rendered parapet and architraves to the sash windows which have their
glazing bars intact. Wide central glazed porch with pilasters, and entablature. Left
hand (west) return is bowed on 3 storeys with 3 sashes to each floor. One bay
2-storey wing at opposite end to east.
Including adjoining doorway to north-east. Probably reset and now forming a gateway
to the courtyard. It has a C16 4-centre moulded stone arch.
Interior: west wing contains large granite fireplace with 4-centred arch and roll
moulding, blocked stone mullion window, stone moulded or chamfered 4-centred arch
doorways. First floor room in west wing has early C18 panelling and C16 moulded
chimneypiece. Adjoining room has granite C16 moulded chimneypiece with ogee head.
Another moulded granite chimneypiece in next room. Also a west wing on C18
staircase. The south wing has an early C19 staircase.
Birthplace of Thomas Williams (d 1566) Speaker of the House of Commons in 1563, and
John Prideaux Rector of Exeter College, Oxford and Bishop of Worcester (1578-1650).
Listing NGR: SX6409356993
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings