This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0932 / 51°5'35"N
Longitude: -3.873 / 3°52'22"W
OS Eastings: 268934
OS Northings: 134320
OS Grid: SS689343
Mapcode National: GBR KZ.CJMW
Mapcode Global: FRA 26S7.DYN
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107558
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98892
Location: Brayford, North Devon, Devon, EX32
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Brayford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: High Bray
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
BRAYFORD HIGH BRAY
SS 63 SE
9/92 Church of All Saints
Parish Church. Features mainly of the C15 or early C16 and of the 1873 restoration
by Ashworth, but undoubtedly earlier fabric to nave and chancel which are built of
small shale rubble. Stone rubble to south aisle, and roughly dressed stone blocks
to tower. Dressed stone quoins and ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with gable ends.
West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle.
West tower of 3 stages. Setback buttresses with offsets. Crenellated parapet with
a small corner obelish pinnacles and moulded stone cornice with grotesque gargoyles
at each corner, to the centre of each face and at each angle of the polygonal stair
turret to north side. 4-centred arched bell-openings with dressed stone voussoirs
of 2 hollow-chamfered lights with louvres to each side. Straight-headed window of
2 trefoil-headed lights with small diamond leaded cames to 2nd stage on south side.
Cl5/early C16 Perpendicular west window of 3 lights with cavetto mullions above 4-
centred arched double hollow chamfered west doorway with hoodmould. C19 plank
door. South aisle has 4 straight-headed Perp windows of 3 cavetto-mullioned 4-
centred arched lights with hoodmoulds. Projecting plinth with horizontal ashlar
capping forming a kind of raised walkway to right side of porch and running around
to east end of south aisle. Gabled south porch with C19 porch doorway with
nookshafts and moulded surround. Plastered barrel vaulted porch ceiling with plain
moulded timber wall-plates. Round arched south doorway with moulded surround and
ancient semi-circular headed door of 2 wide studded planks with wrought-iron
straps, ledged with ancient lock. Slate sundial on south wall of south aisle dated
1717 with churchwardens initials. 2 C19 Perpendicular style windows at east end
with pointed arches, 3 lights and hoodmould. 2 Perpendicular straight-headed
windows to north side of three 4-centred arched lights, one with chamfered
mullions, the other with cavetto mullions.
Interior: 4-bay arcade with Pevsner 'B type' piers with foliated capitals, removed
from each end respond, the 2 outer piers having shields at the corners, that at
west end on south side carved in shape of human head. Stone flag floors to nave
and chancel. Perpendicular ceiled waggon roofs to nave, south aisle and chancel
with plain moulded ribs, but no bosses. Crenellated wall plates to nave and
chancel roofs, which are separated by a corbelled out barrel valuted truss.
Pointed triple hollow chamfered west tower arch. 3 sections of the rood screen
have been reused as part of the base of the partition closing off this arch.
Central door panel much renovated. 4 lights to each section with foliated
mouldings to the arches and surrounds. Norman font with zig-zag frieze to top of
circular bowl with later scalloped design added at the base, on circular stem and
recut base. C19 nave and chancel seating, pulpit and carved angel lectern. Early
C20 wooden reredos. C19 segmental pointed arched double sedilia with 2 cusped
headed arches divided by central moulded pendant. East window has stained glass
Listing NGR: SS6893534320
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings