This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1553 / 51°9'18"N
Longitude: -4.1093 / 4°6'33"W
OS Eastings: 252581
OS Northings: 141671
OS Grid: SS525416
Mapcode National: GBR KN.7JSQ
Mapcode Global: VH4MJ.Q7D6
Entry Name: Lower Aylescott Farmhouse and Adjoining Outbuildings to Rear
Listing Date: 14 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107754
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98469
Location: West Down, North Devon, Devon, EX34
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: West Down
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: West Down St Calixtus
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 54 SW WEST DOWN LOWER AYLESCOTT
4/222 Lower Aylescott Farmhouse and
- adjoining outbuildings to rear
Farmhouse, now house and outbuildings to rear. 1606 by porch datestone,
outbuildings also appear Cl7. Main range refenestrated and interior altered in
late C20. Painted rendered cob and rubble with slate roof. Outbuilding exposed
rubble and cob with partly slate, partly corrugated iron roof. Rubble stacks to
each gable end of main range. 3-room and cross passage plan with 2-storey porch.
2 storeys 5-window range now with C20 frames with 2-storey lean-to added at right
end. Datestone on porch NR : CR with slate sundial above.
Fine Cl7 square-headed inner doorway with ovolo-moulded surround and ornately
carved scroll stops to the jambs. Original framed and ledged door of four boards
with cover strips and original lock. Interior has much of joinery intact with
fireplace lintel with scrollstops and herb or spice cupboard to right at lower end.
Part of new cross-passage Cl7 doorframe survives with chamfered and stopped
surround. Blocked doorway with stopped and chamfered surround to lower side of
cross-passage. Chamfered scroll-stopped hall ceiling beams. Upper end has Cl7
panelling to height of one wall, formerly dado panelling with top rail to all four
walls. The chamber doorways and doors to first floor are mostly original or C18
replacements. 5 roof trusses, 4 with straight collars lap-jointed into principals
with lower set of purlins and some rafters largely intact. To rear, the dairy and
kitchen with lean-to roof and projecting gabled stair turret between extend along
nearly the whole length of main range, part of the kitchen is lofted over and
gallery extends at right angles to main range to form 3-sided rear courtyard.
These appear to be Cl7 also, mostly rubble with some cob patching. Mainly slate
roof, gable end to left, but right end has been lowered and corrugated lean-to roof
added. 3-room plan also with exact former use uncertain, but may have formed
detached kitchen and dairy block with accommodation over. Dairy to left has 4-
light mullion window to ground floor with gallery access to room above with Cl7
doorframe with stopped and chamfered surround. Central kitchen with access into
dairy and from courtyard by doorways with chamfered surrounds. 4-light splayed
mullion over 3-light mullion windows to right. Large axial stack with bread oven.
Cell to right shows signs of rebuilding but access to first floor over kitchen is
by Cl7 stopped and chamfered doorways. 2-light windows on each floor to right of
Listing NGR: SS5258141671
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings