This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3463 / 50°20'46"N
Longitude: -3.9299 / 3°55'47"W
OS Eastings: 262782
OS Northings: 51382
OS Grid: SX627513
Mapcode National: GBR Q6.VQ98
Mapcode Global: FRA 28N3.W8Z
Entry Name: Flete
Listing Date: 29 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107820
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100393
Location: Holbeton, South Hams, Devon, PL21
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Holbeton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 65 SW HOLBETON
Large country house situated in a landscaped park formerly the seat of Lord Mildmay.
The earliest part was built in C16 and substantially rebuilt circa 1620 for Sir
Charles Hele. Additions of early and late C18. Heavily remodelled in Gothic Style
in 1835 and again remodelled and extended in 1878 by R. Norman Shaw retaining the
early C17 house to the south west. Built of rock-faced coursed limestone with
granite dressings. The original C16 house to the south west is two storeyed with a
five gabled west elevation the centre projecting and with a projecting gabled dining
room wing to right (south west) thought to have originally been the great hall. The
1835 gothic style remodelling, obliterated the early and late C18 classical work. In
1878 Norman Shaw remodelled the whole house (except for the C16 south west parts),
and rebuilt the north west kitchen wing and added the tower porch on the north side
creating an enormous castellated Tudor style mansion, with asymmetrical elevations.
Three storeys, rising to four and five storey towers. The long north entrance front
has a large five-storey tower with turrets and a two-storeyed oriel over a
four-centred arch porch doorway. Niches in the side walls of the tower contain
figures. Semi-circular and splayed bays and oriels on the south and west elevations
and a four storey square tower on the south east corner. Large three storey
semi-circular bay in the south west angle. The south elevation of the kitchen wing
has a square bay on the west end, an oriel near the centre and a massive stack
between with set-offs and a cluster of circular flues. The stack is bridged over a
service passageway beneath.
Interior: Designed by Shaw but with some of the detailing by J.A. Heaton
W H Lascelles and W.R. Lethaby. Richly decorated in Jacobean style with pannelling,
Italianate plasterwork and elaborate chimneypieces. Features include a large framed
staircase, gallery with double flight of stairs at one end and a galleried music
Flete was a Saxon estate, the manor being held by the Damarell family from 1066 to
References: Country Life Vol. 38, November 29th 1915
Andrew Saint, "Richard Norman Shaw", pages 211 to 216
Listing NGR: SX6278251382
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings